Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 28th, 2015 08:00

Changing RPA1/2 to different RPAs

Hello,

We currently have 2 RPA clusters consisting of 3 GEN4 appliances. We will be upgrading from 3.5.SP2 to 4.x in a few months, remove fabric splitters, and then adding 2 GEN5 appliances to each cluster. In the 4.1 release notes it mentions that in a mixed RPA type (GEN4 & GEN5) cluster environment that it is recommended that the GEN5 appliances be set as RPA 1 and RPA 2 for improved system function and performance. I was hoping to get some clarification on that point.

I'm assuming after adding the new RPAs to the clusters as RPA 4 and 5 I would have to use Deployment Managers' System Modification option to set the new RPAs as RPA 1 and RPA 2. Is this correct?

Are there any other things that need to be considered prior to doing that?

Would this be disruptive to replicaton in any way since both cluster control RPAs are being switched to different RPAs in both clusters.

Thanks for your time.

1.1K Posts

January 28th, 2015 09:00

As this is not RP/SE you simply use the RP DM Replacement Wizard to switch the Gen5 RPAs with the Gen4 RPAs. No need to spoof the WWNs. You then use the RP DM RPA Addition Wizard to add the Gen4 RPAs back in as RPAs 3 & 4. Both processes are NDU.

1.1K Posts

I would still recommend the NDU replacement. If not RP/SE you perform the replacement using the Gen5 RPA WWNs. Then you simply add the Gen4 RPAs back in as RPAs 3 & 4.

If this is RP/SE you perform the replacement and spoof the Gen5 RPAs with the WWNs of the Gen4 RPAs and then add the Gen4 RPAs in as RPAs 3 & 4 using the Gen5 RPAs or a fictious set of WWNs.

Alternatively, you can simply add the Gen5 RPAs in as RPAs 3 & 4 and put more of the load onto the Gen5 RPAs.

1.1K Posts

Hi Mr Thomas,

You can use the RP DM Tool to perform an NDU RPA replacement. Note that if the customer has RP/SE you'll need to spoof the WWNs for the Gen5 RPAs with the those of the Gen4 RPAs.

Regards,

Rich

Thanks for the reply Rich.

I don't want to replace the existing RPAs in the cluster. I want to add 2 new RPAs to the cluster and then designate them as RPA 1 and RPA 2 in the cluster. The new RPAs being added to the cluster are Gen5 appliances and the ones currently in the clusters are Gen4.

Regards,

Andrew

January 28th, 2015 09:00

This is RP/CL. If I spoof the WWNs for the current Gen4 RPAs 1 and 2 when I attach the fiber to the old RPAs to add them back into the cluster they would have the same WWNs and create conflicts in the fabric. I would have to change the WWNs prior to connecting the fiber to to the old RPAs.

Is that possible through deployment manager or will I have to log in as boxmgmt into all 4 old RPAs and change the WWNs and IPs in there prior to connecting them back to the fabric and network?

1.1K Posts

January 30th, 2015 07:00

Here's the details Mr T on a per cluster basis:

1. Rack, connect and power up Gen5 RPAs.
  2. Deploy iso (same version as on Gen4 RPAs) on the new Gen5 RPAs. Use DVD with iso burnt to it.
  3. Reboot the new Gen5 RPAs and login as boxmgmt
  4. Configure temporary IP address info  - as per the ones used for Gen4 RPAs.
  5. Perform the zoning and RPA -> array configuration.
  6. Start the DM RPA Replacement Wizard and replace one RPA at a time.

January 30th, 2015 07:00

Thanks Rich, you've been tremendously helpful. I'm going to look in to your last recommendation in more detail but I think that will be the way we will end up doing it.

No Events found!