Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 15th, 2017 09:00

Compression with RecoverPoint and XtremIO

Hello.,

I'm about to replicate around 350 TB from my production site to my DR site using RecoverPoint classic, Gen 5s RPAs running version 5.0.1.1. Looking in the setting that are by default in RP, the compression is one of them, it is by default set to "low". I know compression brings to the table a better utilization of my link between the sites, but also brings more utilization to my RPAs CPU, if I have a link between the two sites big enough, should I disable compression and let the XtremIO do their own thing about compression and deduplication? then use that CPU cycles for replication since is a huge amount of data that I need to replicate?

On the other hand, I won't be able to saturate the link between the two sites since RP uses the 1 GB port for replication (I wish they come in a 10 GB flavor). I can see I'm using around 2 to 3 GB/s in my replication.

For this amount of data, should I always do "Distribute groups" across multiple RPAs? so I can better utilize RPAs resources.

Is there any documentation that talks about these type of things?

Any suggestion will be so much appreciate.

Best Regards.

Roberto Hurtado

1.1K Posts

June 16th, 2017 04:00

Hi Roberto,

Ideally you need the Gen6 RPAs with the 10GbE SLIC. However, in answer your questions, I would recommend that you keep compression enabled and assess it impact during the init process. If it is consistently low then you might consider disabling it. DCGs will provide additional replication streams and therefore take advantage of the bandwidth in your WAN as well as distribution streams.

You can contact me offline if you need any further discussion time.

Regards,

Rich Forshaw

18 Posts

July 7th, 2017 07:00

Thanks a lot Richard for your answer.

I have disable compression and have my CGs in a DCGs config. It definitively perform a little bit better.

I have requested a quote for Gen6 cluster for my XtremIO replication and asked for the 10GbE.

No Events found!