Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 28th, 2016 11:00

ERROR: The following devices are mapped to FA ports that are not exposed to RPAs.

Hello. We are having a problem with our RecoverPoint implementation. Locally I have a 4 node cluster of Physical RPA's, and my VMAX and local VNX are connected to it. Professional services did the initial set-up on it, but when they got the following error, he threw his hands up, and basically left. We've been trying to get this resolved for longer than I care to admit. But currently my RecoverPoint is not working, at all, nor has it ever worked.

ERROR: The following devices are mapped to FA ports that are not exposed to RPAs. Writes sent through these FA ports will disrupt replication. Please fix mapping configuration in storage. RPA1 Devices: 10B3, RPA2 Devices: 10B3, RPA3 Devices: 10B3, RPA4 Devices: 10B3 ; RP_XXXXXXX_PDC ; SYMM-000XXXXXXXXX

This has been checked and re-checked and re-checked again with another set of eyes. All of the zoning and mapping is correct. If I pull back the zoning, it complains that it can no longer see the Repository volume 10B3, yet when I re-enable the zoning, I always get the above error.

So far the troubleshooting items we've turned up online had us compare the number of devices that the VMAX believed it was exposing to the RP cluster, vs the number of devices the RP cluster was seeing fro the VMAX. If they were off, the fix was to reboot the RP cluster. Our's matched, but we rebooted the cluster just in case. The only other thing I found penetrating to this error had to do with a syntax error in the Symauth command, which would cause an authentication problem. We ran the Symauth command both ways, and confirmed the entries it created in the VMAX. But there was some confusion as to whether or not that was still a problem when using AD authentication vs local user accounts. We are using AD authentication.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

21 Posts

August 8th, 2016 08:00

Ok, so we figured out the problem. 4 of my FA Ports did not have the "Common Serial Number" flag enabled, so the RPA's were seeing multiple repository volumes presented to it, even though there was only one. I'm not sure how this happened, because it's something that's generally set by default, or at least when the array is brought online. I pulled back the zoning for those ports for the time being, but they have volumes on them that need to use RecoverPoint. So now, I'm wondering about the ramifications of enabling it while there are production volumes on it. Anyone know, or should I ask in the Symmetrix forum?

Thank you

JTB

675 Posts

July 28th, 2016 14:00

Hello there,

I would start off by checking if the output of "symdev -sid show 10B3 | grep -i fa" is the same as "symaccess -sid -devs 10B3" in terms of FA ports mapped and masked for the RPA initiators.

Regards,

Idan Kentor

RecoverPoint Corporate Systems Engineering

idan.kentor@emc.com

18 Posts

July 29th, 2016 10:00

Is there a way to unmap FA ports to a RecoverPoint tagged volume with out having it to go in to WD? i am having same error and need a way to remove unwated FA ports with out disrupting Production volume.

thanks

21 Posts

August 1st, 2016 06:00

Idan, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately CLI and I don't get along very well

When I run your first command I get the error "grep is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". When I run your second command, I get the error "Missing action"

Thank you

JTB

18 Posts

August 1st, 2016 12:00

Bimmer

he probably is running the commands from a Unix/Linux shell

18 Posts

August 1st, 2016 12:00

Figured it out thanks to another post:

Ensure the devices are not masked to the FA where you would perform unmapping operation

* symaccess -sid list assignment -dev : ,

Write disable the devices from the wrong FA port

* symdev -sid write_disable -FA

-P

Unmap the device from the wrong FA port

* symconfigure –sid <> -cmd 'unmap dev from dir

: ;' commit

thanks

21 Posts

August 5th, 2016 06:00

I started from scratch. Wiped out the RPA's, reinstalled the OS, and rebuilt the cluster with a brand new Repository disk. So, I'm right back to where I started, with the same exact error, just with the new device ID.

675 Posts

August 6th, 2016 23:00

I would still try to correlate the mappings as per my previous reply, if you're not running the commands from a Unix host, then run the following:

symdev -sid show 10B3 | find /i "fa"

symaccess -sid -devs 10B3 list assignment

Replace 10B3 with the relevant device.

Regards,

Idan

675 Posts

August 9th, 2016 02:00

I would definitely open a SR on this. You can set the C specifically for the RPAs IG via the symaccess set ig_flags command.

Hope that helps,

Idan Kentor

RecoverPoint Corporate Systems Engineering

idan.kentor@emc.com

No Events found!