Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2015 05:00

Issues with Recoverpoint for VM's deployment

I'm trying to set up a Recoverpoint for VM's environment for evaluation. I have 4 ESXi hosts in a cluster, with the splitter installed on all of them (and all have a software iSCSI adapter with 2 vmkernels configured). I have deployed 2 vRPAs to use in my test cluster, which has been (according to all the green ticks!) successfully created using the Recoverpoint DM software.

I'm running into the following issues:-

When I log into the cluster management interface I can't see any splitters listed, how can I add them?

When I log into the Recoverpoint Management interface in vSphere web client I can't see the cluster listed, how can I add it?

Thanks!

9 Posts

Hi Rich, thanks for replying so fast!

Sorry if I've been unclear, I logged into the cluster management IP (which I think is the Recoverpoint Unisphere?) and am unable to see the splitters listed there.

I have the Recoverpoint plugin loaded in vSphere web client, and if I right click a VM I'm given the option to protect, however I can't proceed through the wizard as no cluster is listed (which I'm guessing is related to the second issue in my first post).

1.1K Posts

Hi Natheeeeeeeeeeeeeee,

The splitters don't show in the RP4VMs Management plugin. However, if you want to check them then you can view them from the RecoverPoint for Unisphere UI.

The vRPA cluster won't show until you protect a VM.

Regards,

Rich

9 Posts

April 10th, 2015 06:00

I've restarted the web client service and logged back in, I still don't have any clusters listed (so can't proceed through the protect VM wizard) and when I look at Recoverpoint for VMs Management all of the options to add VMs, consistency groups, datastores are greyed out. Do I need to apply some kind of evaluation licence to activate these parts?

9 Posts

In RP Unisphere I can see the vcenter server listed under registered storage, if I click on it there's nothing in the registered resource pools section, do I need to add a lun into here before I can protect anything or see the splitters?

1.1K Posts

The splitters will appear once the VM is protected but obviously you need to protect a VM in the first place. The only cluster you need to see in the Protect VM wizard is the ESXi HA cluster so you can select datastores.

Is the vCenter server registered as storage in RP Unisphere?

1.1K Posts

You only need to register a pool or pools for journal provisioning but this can be done from the RP4VMs Management plugin or during the flow of the Protect VM Wizard.

Can you restart your vSphere Web Client service.

1.1K Posts

April 10th, 2015 07:00

No license is needed as you can use the software on a Trial (Try before you Buy) basis. There is a more fundamental issue here.

Can you review the attach doc, specifically the "Setting up your environment and installing RP4VMs" section and confirm that everything you need to do has been done. The run through the Troubleshooting section.

1 Attachment

9 Posts

April 10th, 2015 08:00

That looks like a newer version of the installation guide I've got so I'll start working through that, thanks. I'm concerned that the iSCSI part might not be correct. I've got the software adapter installed, and the 2 vmkernel ports. My iSCSI adapter has auto discovered the iSCSI IP's in the vRPAs but no storage is reported as available, is this correct?

No Events found!