Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

December 13th, 2016 12:00

Protection in test a copy phase

RPA dual appliances at both sites running v4.2

Trying to understand what happens to the journals in respect of protection when a 'test a copy' is implemented.  Scenario using Prod and DR remote sites, Pro Lun1 is protected and replicated over to DR_ProdLun1.

If I wanted to implement Test a copy on ProdLun1 @ 10.00 and use this until say until 16.00 same day for testing purposes.

Couple of things now

1. If there was corruption spotted @ 12.00 and I need to recover back to a point say 11.00.  Would I be able to, is it possible?

2. After the testing phase is completed and at 16.00 the test a copy is discarded, everything is being replicated as normal.  If at 17.00 corruption is spotted and I want to recover back to say 14.00, will this be possible? As at 14.00 we were still in test a copy phase.

Just needs some clarity on what is possible, as I think the writes to the DR journals will be lost when test a copy is discarded.  Appreciate any information, thank you

1.1K Posts

December 14th, 2016 13:00

1. To guarantee this, you would select the newer PiT by rolling to the image whilst still in Test a Copy mode.

2. Yes, as long as the journal is big enough versus the write throughput in order to allow a protection window back to 14:00. When Test a Copy is disabled at 16:00 the vRPA starts to fully distribute the journal lag that has built up since 10:00. The 14:00 PiT will be part of this journal lag. If the journal wasn't big enough to hold the build up of journal lag then you would need to select it before it is rolled over (as the journal works on a new for old basis).

Writes to the Image Access Log proportion of the journal (20% by default) are discard by default when exiting Test a Copy.

Regards,

Rich

No Events found!