Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2016 04:00

RP4VM cluster no visible in vSphere Web Client

Hello,

I want to deploy a test installation with RP4VM (version 4.3 SP1) , but I always get the the same issue that after a successfull deployment the RP4VM cluster is not visible in the web client and I can´t add a datastore or protect VMs.

Here is altough some output from CLI on the cluster IP address:

System problems:

WARNING: You are using an unlicensed trial version for non-commercial use only of EMC RecoverPoint▒ for VMs.

Clusters problems: None

WANs problems: OK

Groups problems: OK

I alreday have restarted the web client and even the vCenter server serveral times and altough did 3 installations.

I can ping all the VMkernle iSCSI ports from the ESX server to the RPAs and back, and the cli connectivity tests are ok.

So perhaps anyone has an idea what I can do to get the cluster visible.

675 Posts

Hi,

Can you make sure that TCP/UDP port 7225 is open b/w the vCenter and the vRPAs ?

Regards,

Idan Kentor

RecoverPoint Corporate Systems Engineering

223 Posts

Looks like 7225 is not open on the vCenter Windows Server. But there is no firewall between the systems and altough the windows firewall of off.

Enter internal command: telnet 10.123.10.234 7225

Trying 10.123.10.234...

telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

Command "telnet 10.123.10.234 7225" exited with return code 256.

Port 80 for example works:

Enter internal command: telnet 10.123.10.234 80

Trying 10.123.10.234...

Connected to 10.123.10.234.

Escape character is '^]'.

Any idea how to open this port?

153 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 05:00

Can you try from the ESXi layer or form different VMs on the same subnet. If it’s being blocked, it will affect cluster visibility and getting protecting going. Check the latest Security Guide.

Thanks,

Zahid Fadli

EMC2

Mobile: +17347170033

Twitter: @zDataGuy

153 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 06:00

Here, can you access it? https://support.emc.com/docu59892_RecoverPoint-for-Virtual-Machines-4.3-Security-Configuration-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

Here’s the statement:

Zahid Fadli

EMC2

Mobile: +17347170033

Twitter: @zDataGuy

1 Attachment

223 Posts

Where can I find this security guide?

223 Posts

Hello Idan,

I have attached the sysem logs, perhaps you can see something in the logfiles.

1 Attachment

675 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 13:00

The archive you've uploaded is corrupted (and only 1.8 MB in size), can you re-upload ?

As written in the security config guide that Zahid referenced, port 7225 should be opened on the vRPAs.

Regards,

Idan Kentor

Email: idan.kentor@emc.com

Twitter: @IdanKentor

1 Message

March 3rd, 2016 14:00

I have the same issue.  I have an RPA cluster of 8 rpas.  There are no firewall or port restrictions between the rpas and vcenter.

UPDATE: I have one 2 rpa cluster, call it mn05 rpa cluster and one 8 rpa cluster, call it az08 rpa cluster.  I am using the latest 4.3.1 version of the vRPAs.  Installation of both clusters went well, after figuring out networking.  Connecting the to clusters went well, easy to do.  I am able to see the mn05 rpa cluster in it's vCenter, but can not see the az08 rpa cluster in its vCenter.  I did a recheck of port 7225 and found for the mn05 rpa cluster, it is open.  For the az08 rpa's port 7225 does not appear to be open.   I am now going to work with "someone" to figure out how to get it open... I don't have rights on the vCenter server to open ports.

Additional Info:

Neither cluster responds with a valid connection for port 7225.

However the mn05 rpa cluster does show up in it's vCenter when doing a Protect VM. The rpa cluster IP does establish a port 7225 connection with the cluster IP after initiating a 443 connection with the LAN IP of RPA1 (the cluster IP also happens to be on RPA1)

The az08 rpa cluster never shows up in vCenter when doing Protect VM and never establishes a port 7225 connection with the cluster IP.  What is interesting is the WAN IP or RPA2 (the cluster IP resides on RPA2) initiates a 443 connection.

Why is RPA2 in az08 trying to use the WAN IP and not the LAN IP for local connection?  I have validated the LAN and WAN IPs are set correctly.

223 Posts

March 4th, 2016 03:00

When I do a telnet on port 7225 FROM the vCenter Server TO both vRPAs this works.

So port 7225 FROM vCenter to vRPAs is oen, this is what is the requirement in the security guide, as far as I understand.

675 Posts

Sure, sounds good.

I'm glad to read your feedback on RP4VM 4.3.1, the web-based Deployer and the many deployment improvements are definitely a major leap forward.

Thanks,

Idan

Idan Kentor

Email: idan.kentor@emc.com

Twitter: @IdanKentor

223 Posts

Hi Idan,

I have done a fresh installation with fresh downloaded installation files version 4.3.1 and the new deplyment manager GUI. Before that I have followed the deployment guide to remove the former RP4VM installation.

Deployment fine again but with the same result. Btw the new deployment manager works great and more user friendly than the old one.

I understand that port 7225 has to be open, but this is a demo environment with no firewall and no ports blocked.

So perhaps someone can help me, where I have to do some editing to get this port open on the vCenter Server. When I use netsat -a the wether 7225 port nor the vRPAs are listed.

I will send you the system information by mail if this is ok for you.

223 Posts

March 7th, 2016 23:00

Hello mikeut,

please let me know if you have found a solution for this port opening issu. I have no idea what else I can do.

Afaik I understand the security guide the port has to be open from the vCenter server to the vRPA and not vice versa, right?

This is open in my environment.

I altough have seen in the netstat command line, that one WAN IP (eth0) adress of one vRPA has a connectino to the vCenter server, but not the LAN IP (eth1) adress. This is confusing me too. Is it right, that eth0 is the WAN IP and eth1 is the LAN IP`?

Screenshot netstat:

Screenshot vRAP1 IP settings:

No Events found!