This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 9th, 2012 14:00

RPAs Cabling/Zoning Questions

Hi,

I have questions for this implemenation :

RecoverPoint/SE (VNX Splitter) last version

2 sites - FC replication between sites - 2 SAN Fabrics (stretched between sites)

1 RPAs Cluster per Site - 2 RPAs per Cluster

- Mgmt ethernet port connected

- No WAN ethernet port connected (is it ok ?)

4 HBAs ports per RPA - Fabric attached (no direct attachement on VNX)

Connection Questions

I plan to connect

RPA1_p0, RPA1_p1, RPA2_p0 and RPA2_p01 to Fabric1

RPA1_p2, RPA1_p3, RPA2_p2 and RPA2_p03 to Fabric2

or is this one is the good cabling ??

RPA1_p0, RPA1_p2, RPA2_p0 and RPA2_p02 to Fabric1

RPA1_p1, RPA1_p3, RPA2_p1 and RPA2_p03 to Fabric2

Zoning Question

1 - I need to zone RPAs to Storage (VNX)

2 - I need to zone RPAs to RPAs in the same cluster

3 - I need to zone RPAs Site1 to RPAs Site 2

what is the best practice ?

Is the FC ports (2 per RPA (1 on each SAN Fabric)) used for FC Replication between sites have to be reserved for this fonction only ?

is there a specific port for FC Replication or any port is OK ?

I plan to create

1 zone : Site1_RPAs_VNX_Fabric1

All RPA1 and RPA2 HBA ports + All VNX ports (SPA and SPB) (except port0 (MirrorView port) on each SP)

this zone will assume point 1 and 2

(the same zone for Fabric2 : Site1_RPAs_VNX_Fabric2)

(the same configuration for Site 2)

AND

1 zone : RPAs_Replication_Fabric1

RPA1 and RPA2 HBA ports used for Replication on each site on Fabric1

this zone will assume point 3

(the same zone for Fabric2 : RPAs_Replication_Fabric2)

Finaly i will have 4 ports (2 per RPAs) connected on Storage and 4 ports (2 per RPAs) used for replication (if these ports have to be reserved for this fonction only).

Thank you for your time passed on this thread

Anthony COSTESEQUE

117 Posts

April 11th, 2012 08:00

1. No WAN ethernet port connected (is it ok ?) If you do not plug in the WAN ports, the replication over FC will work, but RPAs still "want to talk" to each other over WAN.  So, log collection from both sites may not work and you will get a permanent error in the GUI.  The best thing is to connect WAN ports as well, even if it's the same network as the management.

Have you checked Deployment Manager Product Guide available on Powerlink?  It should address all your questions.

2. good cabling ?? Either way will work.  Since Gen 4 RPAs have a single quad card, it does not really matter.  The old convention was to use ports 0&1 on one fabric and 2&3 on another.  However, if you only use two ports, 0&1, then, of course, they will be on different fabrics.

3. Zoning Question  See DM product guide starting on page 21.  The rules for RP/SE are slightly different than for the other flavors.  When you run the Deployment Manager it can do the RPA-to-VNX zoning for you.

4. is there a specific port for FC Replication or any port is OK ?  Any configuration will work, as long as you have redundancy and every RPA can talk to every RPA.  So, you can dedicate ports 2&3 for FC replication or you can zone all of them to both local VNX and remote RPAs.

April 12th, 2012 15:00

Thank you for your detailed reply !

everything is working I created manually 3 zones not by DM because it was runing MCData legacy OS.

1 zone All RPAs Site 1 + Stockage Site 1 (SPA + SPB)

1 zone All RPAs Site 2 + Stockage Site 2 (SPA + SPB)

1 zone All RPAs Site 1 + All RPAs Site 2 (for FC Replication)

3 zones for Fabric1

the same for Fabric2

Total : 6 zones

Anthony COSTESEQUE

No Events found!