Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 11th, 2016 03:00

Recoverpoint for VMs - version query

I've a query around RP4VMs and version compatibility on vSphere.

I'm doing a customer migration using RP4VMs to move from one site to another and need to know if the same version of RP4VMs must be deployed on the VMware hosts in the source/target sites.

e.g Is it possible to deploy RP on a vSphere 5.1 farm (source) and RP on a vSphere 6 (target) or must the ESXi version and RP version be the same level?

(new to EMC RP4VMs technology by the way)

522 Posts

February 11th, 2016 04:00

The esx version can be different across sites as long as they support the rp4vm version running. In a config with different esx version pay attention to the replicated vm hardware version and other settings. For example, You can't spin up a vm version 10 on esx6 on an esx5 farm in the target site. So all of those settings need to be compatible between the 2 farms.

3 Posts

February 11th, 2016 06:00

Thanks for the reply. Any idea if the same version of RPM4VM can be deployed on ESXi 5/6?

I see on the EMC site v4.3.0.1 supports vSphere 5.1 U1, 5.5, 6.0. Technically it sounds like it can but I'm wondering is it recommended to have ESXi versions at a matching level.

153 Posts

February 11th, 2016 13:00

Yes, same RPVM version can be used on any supported vsphere env.

Thanks,

Zahid Fadli

EMC2

Twitter: @zDataGuy

522 Posts

February 11th, 2016 13:00

yeah - you can deploy the same RP4VM version on different ESXi hosts - I inferred the same from that guide and have set it up at a few places like that with the only issues being the interop between VM versions, etc (like failing over from an ESX6 to ESX 5.5 cluster and making sure the VM hardware version, etc are compatible with 5.5).

3 Posts

February 12th, 2016 02:00

Great - thanks for the info

No Events found!