Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2015 02:00

Recoverpoint journal Volume

Hi,

I have VNX5200 storage along with 2XRPA on both prod and DR site.Do you need to have recoverpoint journal volumes if i need only need to replicate only the Protected LUN of the source volume to the DR Site which contains on the production journals for any delta changes.Is my understanding correct.

The recoveral journal volumesi.e replica journal is in place for PIT  provided you need to for testing purpose and recovery.

1.1K Posts

April 13th, 2015 04:00

Hi there,

You need to have a journal for both of the copies in the CG, i.e. the Prod/Protected copy and the DR/replica copy. However, as you rightly stated the DR/replica copy journal is the more important from a snapshot history perspective, therefore the Prod/Protected copy journal does not necessarily need to be sized in the same way or be identical to the DR/replica copy journal. Under normal operation the Prod/Protected copy journal is not used and is only ever used for storing metadata under specific circumstances. Obviously if you where to failover to the DR/replica copy and it became the new Prod/Protected copy then the role of original Prod/Protected copy journal changes.

You can consult the RP Admin Guide should you need any additional information.

Regards,

Rich Forshaw

Consultant Corporate Systems Engineer - RecoverPoint & VPLEX (EMEA)

Data Protection and Availability Solutions

11 Posts

April 13th, 2015 05:00

HI,

For this case, the sizing is as follows

Q1. Ist CG contain Prod LUN  e.g 200G that need to replicated to DR site for DR recovery.You mean we  just needt to create a PROD  LUN of 200G  and  the Prod Journal Volume is resided in the same 200G LUN or we need to create a dedicated Prod journal Volume at PRD Array.

Q2.2nd CG contain Prod LUNe.g 100G  need to replicate to DR Site.Create  source LUN of 100g and  copy journal volume (e.g 20G) at PROD Storage .At the same time create indentical Size (100g and 20G) at DR Site.We can USE PIT image and present to one the server for reporting testing at PROD site.

Is the above understanding  correct?

1.1K Posts

April 13th, 2015 06:00

Whatever the replication requirement (local, remote or local+remote(s)) all copies in the CG require a journal of between 10GB and 10TB (40GB - 10TB if using a Distributed CG). One important aspect of this relationship is that Prod constitutes a copy.

So if you have a CG that is made up of a Prod LUN and a DR/Replica LUN, the Prod LUN resides in a copy (we can call this Prod copy) and the DR/Replica LUN resides in a copy also (we can call this DR cop). During the flow of the wizard to create the CG you are required to allocate a journal to each copy. This is a mandatory and unavoidable requirement.

In terms of normal replication flow and rollback PiT snapshot history, the DR/Replica copy journal is the important journal. This is the same for any replica copy whether the replica copy is local or remote or both. Depending on your version and licensing you could have up to four replica copies, each having their own journals and the Prod copy always having it's own journal.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Rich Forshaw

Consultant Corporate Systems Engineer - RecoverPoint & VPLEX (EMEA)

Data Protection and Availability Solutions

11 Posts

April 20th, 2015 05:00

Hi forsher,

I have a requirement to protect the source LUN(100G) of the MySQL and delta changes of 20% and will replicate to the DR Site. Is the below configuration of the array creation of the LUN is in place or otherwise.

Site1 (PROD Array) Site2(DR Array)

RPSite1_Pool (Raid 6) RPSite2_Pool(Raid6)

Create 20G of CCR source Journal Volume Create 20G of CCR Target Journal Volume and additional 20G of CCR Target Journal Volume

Create 100G of source LUN Create of 100G of target LUN

Regards,

Tian Hai

1.1K Posts

April 20th, 2015 14:00

Hi Tian,

The requirements would be as follows:

Site 1 ( Prod)

source LUN - 100GB

journal LUN - 20GB

Site 2 (DR)

replica LUN - 100GB

journal LUN - 20GB

Note that it's not recommended or best practice to use the same pool for the source/replica LUNs and the journal LUNs.

Regards,

Rich

11 Posts

April 20th, 2015 18:00

Hi Fosher,

We have dedicated RP pool that for the source and journal volume at each respective site. In what cases, that do I require to add more Journal Lun at each site.

1.1K Posts

April 21st, 2015 01:00

Make sure you have a dedicated and separate pool for data and journal LUNs. It would not be a recommendation or best practice to have a single pool at each for both the data and journal LUNs.

Adding additional LUNs for the journal is generally required for an extended rollback requirement or when write throughput increases and compromises the existing rollback capability or when new LUNs are added to the CG which cause additonal write throughput and compromise the rollback capability.

However, due to the overhead of distribution, the journal (or in your case the pool as a whole), needs to have sufficient number of disk drives to facilitate the distribution.

More detailed information is available in the RP Admin Guide.

11 Posts

April 24th, 2015 04:00

Hi Forshr,

I have a dedicated  of pool consists of Prod LUN  AutoTiering using SSD & 5 x 600GB 10K configured as Raid 5

and the other pool called RP_Pool consists of the Prod Source LUN and Journal Volume as 5 x 600GB 10K configured as Raid 5.

So the term of production journal is actually used for replication purpose to store informations and does not contains snapshot.So it will be used as snaphot funtions once there is a failover of the prod copy takes place.Is my understanding correct.

No Events found!