Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 13th, 2016 10:00

Recoverpoint with XIO: Unable to mount replicated LUN

Hello folks!

Don't know what I am doing wrong but I can't for the life of me get this working. I have a LUN that is currently being replicated from site1 to site2. When I fail-over to site2, and trying to mount the replicated LUN to all the hosts (4 in total), it will only allow me to mount 1 of the 4. Attempting to mount the LUN to a second host, vCenter will only give me the option of formatting it.

Upon my research, I have found this article:

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1011387

Below it states:

"In a datacenter that has multiple ESXi/ESX hosts, a VMFS datastore on a snapshot LUN is force mounted on any one of these hosts. When this datastore is mounted on a given host, that datastore cannot be force mounted on any other host using the vCenter Server user interface. To mount that datastore on other hosts, use the preceding steps."

So does this mean I can't do what I am looking to do? I have open up a chat session with EMC and they said I should be able to mount the LUN to all hosts.

Recoverpoint version 4.4.1

XIO version 4.0.2-80

522 Posts

July 13th, 2016 17:00

If you are doing this manually and the replica is masked to all 4 hosts...are you choosing to resignature the LUN upon initial datastore addition?

8 Posts

July 14th, 2016 04:00

Yes to all, I actually figured out the problem.

Initially when I re-signatured the LUN and tried to failback over to site1, it would ask me to reformat it. What I did to combat this is simply unmap and re-map the LUN in XIO. Choose to re-signature again and we are all good.

I am guessing it is asking me to reformat the LUN because the previous Device path had only the information of the original LUN signature and the re-signature basically confused it and wanting to re-format.

So as of now, the replicated LUN will be left un-mapped till a failover.

Thanks for the response.

No Events found!