Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 23rd, 2015 05:00

Which one is best practice as RP multi site system?

Hello,

Which one is best practice or recommended to add another RP series to an existing RP series between the following idea 1 and idea 2 by EMC?

I assume the both ideas can be implemented and we don't need to do initial sync for the existing RP series after the RP appliance is upgraded in the idea 2 because the RPA is cluster configured. Is that right?

I assume the idea 1 is good from reliability perspective because one series can continue the copying after another series fails.

And I assume the idea 2 is good from operating expense perspective.

By the way, Can we have 1 to 2 RP configuration (multiple copy) from right side to left side in case of idea 1 if the customer wants to do that?

The existing environment has VPLEX both in idea 1 & idea 2 even though I haven't heard where it is.

Idea 1

MV0002.JPG.jpg

Idea 2

MV0004.JPG.jpg

Best regards,

Hiroki

1K Posts

December 23rd, 2015 06:00

Forgot to answer your other question.

"Can we have 1 to 2 RP configuration (multiple copy) from right side to left side in case of idea 1 if the customer wants to do that?"

Not sure if I fully understand but if you are replicating a LUN from the right side to the top left side you can't replicate that same LUN to the bottom left side. A LUN can belong to one cluster. And you have to have the same number of RPAs across the sites. Site 1 has 2 RPAs then site 2 has to have 2 RPAs. YOu can't have 4 RPAs at site 1 and 2 RPAs at site 2 for example.

153 Posts

Hi Hiroki,

In the 2nd diagram, you have simply added a 3rd side to the RecoverPoint environment which is supported (we support up to 5 sites per system) and this approach gives you the flexibility of simply adding copies of the same CGs to the 2nd VNX.

Take a look at this WP: https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-40044

Thanks,

Zahid

RecoverPoint Corp Systems Eng.

1K Posts

There's really not a best practice, it would come down to management and licensing. Either way will work just fine.

In Idea 1 you will have two RP clusters on the right side - two completely separate RP environments. Also, for Idea 1 you can use RP/SE licensing.

Idea 2 will require you to upgrade your license to RP/EX since SE is between two CX/VNX arrays only. One single management interface.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 24th, 2015 15:00

Please let me confirm.

Do we need to do initial sync for the existing RP series after the RP appliance is upgraded to use for the two RP series in the idea 2 where the RPAs are usually cluster configured?

Thanks and Best regards,

Hiroki

1K Posts

December 24th, 2015 19:00

No, initial sync for existing CGs will not be required. All you are doing is upgrading the RP license key and adding a 3rd site in idea 2.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 24th, 2015 23:00

Hello Ernes,

How about when you replace the RPAs with "Being Upgraded" on idea 2? Need to initialize the sync for the existing RP series?

Thank you for replying.

Best regards,

Hiroki

1K Posts

December 25th, 2015 11:00

When you say being upgraded, are you referring to upgrading the RP version or the physical appliances themselves?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 25th, 2015 17:00

Hello Ernes,

I'm asking about upgrading the physical appliances themselves. The customer is thinking about that. We don't have to do that when we add another RP series to a RP cluster?

Thank you for confiming.

Best regards,

Hiroki

1K Posts

December 25th, 2015 21:00

No, you don't need to upgrade the RP Appliances themselves. You just need to update the license key from RP/SE to RP/EX.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 27th, 2015 03:00

Hello Ernes,

When the RP appliances themselves are upgraded, initializing the sync is required? Otherwise we can avoid the initializing the sync?

Thank you for replying.

Best regards,

Hiroki

1K Posts

December 28th, 2015 07:00

No, not required. That's because the upgrade is performed at an RPA at a time. RPA1 at Site 1 and RPA1 at Site 2 get upgraded, rebooted. Once RPA1 comes back the same process is performed on RPA2. When the RPAs reboot the CG is failed over to the other RPA and thus replication continues without disruption.

1K Posts

Yep, makes sense. That was my understanding of it as well. Thanks.

1K Posts

Zahid, if 4.x is running, how will deployment manager upgrade RPAs in the cluster? Let's say there are 2 RPAs at each site. Won't it perform the upgrade one RPA at a time? In other words, RPA1 at each site get upgraded followed by RPA2. If that's not the case, how will it perform the upgrade?

153 Posts

Please note that starting w/ 4.x upgrades are done one cluster at a time.

Thanks,

Zahid

RP Corp. Systems Eng.

153 Posts

The upgrade wizard will upgrade one cluster at a time during which one RPA is upgraded before moving on to the another RPA within the same cluster. If you have more than one cluster, then you have to rerun the upgrade wizard for each cluster.

Sent from my iPhone

No Events found!