Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2014 06:00

What is the best way to migrate data from celerra to VNX?

Hello,

I need to migrate data from ns120 to vnx5200, what is the best way step by step to migrate the data ? there is no VDM.

but maybe i would like to create VDM at the new VNX5200.

thanks,

1K Posts

January 13th, 2014 09:00

Use Replicator. High level overview: http://chucksblog.emc.com/content/CelerraReplicator.pdf

Just google Celerra Replicator and you'll see a ton of configuration guides.

19 Posts

January 15th, 2014 08:00

https://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h8174-migrating-celerra-vnx-replicator-wp.pdf

One of the requirements for this method is that the Celerra CIFS shares are in a VDM.  There is also a whitepaper or primus that has the steps to migrate from a physical data mover to a VDM somewhere.

6 Posts

January 15th, 2014 08:00

Celerra replicator is definitely the fastest way to do migration of the file systems, just configure Celerra replicator as a file system based replication and then after you cut over to the VNX, follow the process in this KB article to move it into a VDM.  Pretty simple!

22 Posts

January 15th, 2014 11:00

It really depends on your migration strategy, but you have to use Celerra Replicator v2. Make sure both source and target are compatible. If you have only hand full of shares, I would suggest create the replication session manually and cut over for each share as you need depending on the window.

31 Posts

January 19th, 2014 02:00

Thanks for all,

Sorry for the dellay.my question is what files do i need to take before I do
the replication like shares, user mappers etc.

i know all those document but I'm looking for procedure with preparation(what
to do before) what to check ?

6 Posts

January 19th, 2014 07:00

Having done several of these, I capture the output of these commands before I cut over; these commands are ran from the control station (or active control station if you have a two control station Celerra / VNX).  Please note that I am also assuming that Data Mover 2 (server_2) is the active data mover.  If you have more than one active data mover, you will need to run these command against each data mover or if using a vdm, you'll need to replace "server_2" with the virtual data mover name.

- server_cifs server_2  <-- this command gives you the CIFS Server data and AD domain information

- server_export server_2 <-- this command gives you the list of NFS exports and SMB shares (with CIFS Server info).

- server_ifconfig server_2 <-- this command provides you with a list of active IP addresses on your Celerra.

- nas_replicate -list <--- this command provides you with the status of each replication session

- For each SMB share, you will need to take a snapshot of the share-level permission; this is usually done via the Computer Management MMC plugin from a Windows system by connecting to a remote machine and entering the CIFS server name of your Celerra.

After you have captured this data, you will then do the following process to cut over to your new system.

- Failover each replication session from source to target (this will make the source file systems r/o and the target file systems r/w)

- Validate any / all ethernet interfaces are online, active, and have the correct IP addresses that you want.

- Configure any CIFS servers & join them to the proper Active Directory domain.

- Using the output from server_export command ran earlier, recreate the SMB shares and NFS exports on the new source (old target) system.

- Apply any share-level permissions on the SMB shares.  You will not have to change any file or directory level permissions as those are replicated via celerra replicator v2.

- Perform testing to ensure data is accessible.

I know this is a rather lengthy reply but that is the process at a high level.  I hope that helps you in your migration efforts.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 19th, 2014 13:00

Properly configured replication in CIFS environment (see CIFS replication session in Replicator guide) would not require you to manually cifs server and join it to AD ..it will happen automatically when you failover. If your environment support dynamic DNS then IP address assigned to VNX5200 interface used for replication will become your new CIFS server ip address. If that is not acceptable and you need to keep the same IP then after failover you will need to remove IP address from NS-120 and assign it to VNX5200 (and to your CIFS server).

Are you using built-in usermapper ? If yes then you need to  think how you are going to handle that (assuming VNX5200 is not in production yet). You can configure VNX5200 as secondary usermapper and point to NS120 until you finish final migration. Once final migration from NS120 is complete, you will need to export usermapper database and import it on VNX5200 (you will need to schedule downtime to do that). Another option is to export usermapper from NS120 and import it on VNX5200, then take NS120, disable usermapper and point to VNX5200 as primary usermapper.

31 Posts

January 19th, 2014 22:00

Hi All,

I don't think the customer use usermapper environment. i ask that because at
my last migration the customer had quotas

at the old storage and because we didn't export the usermapper DB we have
got error message about quotas. All the time I get some information from here
from there. That's why I opened this thread to know exactly what the best way
step by step is

to migrate files from cellera to new VNX without VDM.

Thanks to all

5 Posts

June 21st, 2016 05:00

Hello,

I currently have a pair of  VNX 5500's replicating using VDM's

Now, I want to move all of it over to a pair  of VNX 5200's.

Can I do one to many replication on Celerra and then fail over to the new 5200's?   I think I can.  Just wanting your opinion.

Thanks,

No Events found!