Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 26th, 2010 08:00

Want to help improve SAP storage sizing?

If you are:

• Planning a new SAP implementation
  • Updating your SAP infrastructure (servers, storage, etc.)
  • Adding new functionality to an existing SAP landscape (new modules, upgrades, etc.)

Then you should think about properly sizing your SAP infrastructure.

In an effort to continuosly improve our SAP sizing assumptions and estimates, EMC is looking to gather IO data from real customer environments. By sharing your IO profile data (no application data will be collected, only host and array IO statistics) you'll get the most accurate sizing for your SAP project and help improve the overall storage sizing process for all SAP customers.

If you're interested in participating, either respond to this discussion or e-mail EMC_SAP_Ecosystem@emc.com and put "Sizing" in the subject.

Thanks!

February 5th, 2010 13:00

CarolCal wrote:

I'm almost thinking with the capabilities for storage such as virtual provisioning, and virtual LUN, today we might want to consider not only data layout, but a strategy for the data to take advantage of these capabilities.

There is no question that with FAST v1, the "correct" layout of SAP data files on the "right" VLUN is essential to be able to take advantage of the FAST policies to move those data files from one storage tier to another to take advantage of the characteristics of that storage tier, be it performance or cost.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

I'm thinking data layout, or data placement may be very important.  I'm almost thinking with the capabilities for storage such as virtual provisioning, and virtual LUN, today we might want to consider not only data layout, but a strategy for the data to take advantage of these capabilities.

It might go like this:

Sizing -- accurately for the storage, with EMC best practices .

Data Layout -- planned with no only number of spindles, but how to used them -- what will get priority in the layout planning task

Storage Strategy -- I'm just thinking this through, but once we have both of the above, and we have the priorities we might want to think about how we could leverage virtual provisioning, to try to reduce over allocation of storage space that really won't be used right away.

What do you think? ....

I think that in addition to SAP storage sizing, the more relevant discussion is SAP data layout.

Sizing is certainly important, but data layout is critical to achieving good performance with large SAP databases which can grow to be as large as 10TB.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 27th, 2011 11:00

William,

I have a customer doing a new implementation, they provide the Quick sizer, is that enough information for your team?

26 Posts

September 27th, 2011 11:00

Quicksizer is an excellent starting point. For the SDC to complete a more accurate sizing we request you complete the SAP site survey. We will use the information from the survey and Quicksizer to complete the initial SAP capacity sizing. The survey is attached to William's post. Submit the completed survey to the email address listed at the top of the survey.

No Events found!