Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2017 09:00

Install of ScaleIO Plugin fails - vCenter 6.5

Hoping someone out there has run into and resolved this issue. Have not been able to find any reference to this problem on the inter-webs...

While performing the vCenter Plugin install after the step that asks you to log out and back in to the vsphere web client and press enter I am receiving the following:

--------

Log out, and then log back in to vSphere web client. The plugin is downloaded upon login to the vSphere web client. After you have logged back in, press ENTER.

ERROR: The process with PID 6096 could not be terminated.

Reason: There is no running instance of the task.

Disconnecting from the vCenter XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX...

--------

I have attempted the install from 2 separate systems both 32-bit and 64-bit Java installs from both 32/64bit PowerCLI prompts in all combinations. All components are fully updated (versions listed below). And install method is of plugin is the standard option, firewalls turned off and the machines that attempted performing the install are on the same subnet as the vCenter appliance

vCenter Appliance: 6.5.0.12000

Windows Server 2016

java version "1.8.0_151"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_151-b12)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.151-b12, mixed mode)

The error that is constantly repeated in the Scaleio.log is below. The log ends abruptly with this being repeated a random number of times:

----------

2017-11-28 11:32:46,061 [Thread-2] ERROR c.e.s.s.services.GeneralServiceImp - mdm.ip.addresses is missing

2017-11-28 11:32:46,061 [Thread-2] ERROR c.e.s.a.mdm_proxy.MdmProxyServiceGW - in ScaleIo alert poller:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class com.emc.s3g.scaleio.lockbox.LockBoxService

at com.emc.s3g.scaleio.services.GeneralServiceImp.getMdmUsername(GeneralServiceImp.java:242) ~[ams-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:na]

at com.emc.scaleio.ams.mdm_proxy.MdmProxyServiceGW$MdmPoller.run(MdmProxyServiceGW.java:487) ~[ams-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:na]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) [na:1.8.0_151]

2017-11-28 11:32:46,342 [http-nio-65101-exec-4] INFO  c.e.s.s.w.controller.UtilController - Downloading the Plugin file 'EMC-ScaleIO-vSphere-web-plugin-2.0.13000.211.zip' from 'C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\ScaleIO\gatewayServer\webapps\ROOT\resources' (XXXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXXX)

2017-11-28 11:32:47,076 [Thread-2] ERROR c.e.s.s.services.GeneralServiceImp - mdm.ip.addresses is missing

2017-11-28 11:32:47,076 [Thread-2] ERROR c.e.s.a.mdm_proxy.MdmProxyServiceGW - in ScaleIo alert poller:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class com.emc.s3g.scaleio.lockbox.LockBoxService

at com.emc.s3g.scaleio.services.GeneralServiceImp.getMdmUsername(GeneralServiceImp.java:242) ~[ams-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:na]

at com.emc.scaleio.ams.mdm_proxy.MdmProxyServiceGW$MdmPoller.run(MdmProxyServiceGW.java:487) ~[ams-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:na]

2017-11-28 11:32:48,217 [Thread-2] ERROR c.e.s.s.services.GeneralServiceImp - mdm.ip.addresses is missing

2017-11-28 11:32:48,217 [Thread-2] ERROR c.e.s.a.mdm_proxy.MdmProxyServiceGW - in ScaleIo alert poller:

----------

Would appreciate any insight, Thanks!

December 22nd, 2017 11:00

Hello,

Try the following in this exact order:

1. Go to this URL: https:// /mob/?moid=ExtensionManager
    1. Check for the ScaleIO plugin, if it is there, click on it and copy the name, next to the parameter "key"
    2. Go back to this: https:// /mob/?moid=ExtensionManager
      1. Select the method "UnregisterExtension"
      2. Copy and paste the ScaleIO name in the field and click "invoke Method"
  2. SSH to vCenter and stop the vSphere Web Client service and clean any existing files
    1. service-control --stop vsphere-client
    2. Delete any ScaleIO related files in these directories on your vCenter (if they exist)
      1. /etc/vmware/vsphere-client/vc-packages/scaleio”
      2. /etc/vmware/vsphere-client/vc-packages/vsphere-client-serenity
    3. service-control --start vsphere-client
  3. Start the Plugin registration script via PowerCLI and unregister / register the plugin
    1. Start the script, and fill in the information for your vCenter
    2. Select the option to unregister the SIO plugin and let that finish
    3. Select the option to register the plugin and once the script tells you to log in to the vCenter web client, please do so. Check to see if the ScaleIO icon appears.
  4. If it does not show up, keep the script running and ssh to vCenter to check connectivity
    1. While ssh'd to vCenter run this command:
      1. curl -k https://XX.XX.XX.XX:65101/resources/plugin > tmp.plugin
        1. XX.XX.XX.XX should be the IP of the server that you are running the SIO plugin register script from.
      2. Check to see if "tmp.plugin" downloads.
        1. If it fails to download, then there is a connectivity problem between the script running the server and vCenter and that will need to be fixed.
        2. If it downloads, we will want to look at the Virgo logs on vCenter for errors that could indicate the problem.
  5. Virgo logs are stored at the below location on vCenter, please share the output if you still have the problems after trying steps above.
    1. /var/log/vmware/vsphere-client/logs

Hopefully this helps

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 5th, 2017 06:00

This may sound silly but are you sure that it's not installed? In 6.5,   I had to select 'Global Inventory Lists' from the home icon dropdown. I reinstalled several times until I realized what the issue was. Just a thought!

-Steve

3 Posts

December 5th, 2017 09:00

No dice, there is nothing there.

306 Posts

December 5th, 2017 10:00

Hi,

Try to see in the Virgo logs whether your vCenter actually tries to download the plugin from your host - if not, it can be a communication problem and you can try to use Advanced method and point it to any HTTP server with the plugin - if yes, please try to follow KB#482682 and perform a cleanup of the plugin leftover, then try to register again - and share fresh logs with us.

Cheers,

Pawel

33 Posts

December 16th, 2017 09:00

Can you try on a box with vmware PowerCLI tools installed (or install them) ?

I had lots of issues with the installation too and always got that error, but at some point it had successfully installed despite it.

Unfortunately I didn't write down the various solutions i attempted.

3 Posts

December 18th, 2017 06:00

PowerCLI tools were installed and tested as well. Looks like I neglected to list the version in my original post however.

PowerCLI 6.5 Release 1 build 4624819

32/64 bit (both were tested)

33 Posts

December 18th, 2017 12:00

Have you tried with 2.0.14? Just saw it was finally available. Looks like you tried with 2.0.13.

You checked compatibility with ESX/vCenter release?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2017 09:00

I was having the same problems, so I hunted down a ScaleIO guru. Turned out to be the windows firewall. Here are the steps I took.

1. Turned off all windows firewalls
  2. Kicked off the powershell script
  3. Ssh'd into the VCSA
  4. Dropped into the VCSA shell
  5. Once the powershell script made it to the "registering" stage ran 'wget https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:65101/resources/plugin' (where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of your windows server) and let that complete
  6. Rebooted the VCSA

All was good.

1 Message

June 12th, 2019 08:00

This solution works for vCenter 6.7 and ScaleIO 3.x as well what would happen is if you tried to register and log in using HTML 5 the plugin will not work and you have to clean up and unregister the plugin using the methods in the earlier post. Then when you log in use Flash to allow the plugin to down load and you should see the VxFlex icon.  

No Events found!