October 27th, 2016 11:00

OpenSSL Can't Create a new MDM Cluster Manually

We are testing SIO 2.0.0.3 on a Windows 2012 R2 Standard environment

SIO configuration is

Node 1: Master MDM, SDS, SDC

Node 2: Slave MDM, SDS, SDC

Node 3: TB, SDS, SDC

Node 4: SDS, SDC

We are performing a manual installation of the SIO components, while creating the MDM cluster we get the following error message

scli --create_mdm_cluster --master_mdm_ip --master_mdm_management_ip --master_mdm_name --accept_license --use_nonsecure_communication

Error: MDM failed command.  Status: Failed loading the OpenSSL library

We don't plan to use OpenSSL for communication

Windows Firewall is disabled on all Nodes

We installed PythonModulesInstall as the SIO deployment guide recommends including all features in the package

For the sake of it, we installed Win32OpenSSL_Light-1_1_0b from https://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html

We tried both 64 Bit and 32 bits of OpenSSL, rebooted the server getting to the same error on each instance.

Please could you assist us to overcome this problem?

Thank you!

Saul

73 Posts

October 27th, 2016 12:00

Hi Saul,

Try using just the 1.0.2j 64-bit installer from the same location:

Win64 OpenSSL v1.0.2j

The 1.1.0 version of OpenSSL has big enough code changes that software written to take advantage of OpenSSL need to be updated to use that version, including ScaleIO. There is a warning on the website as well:

"August 29, 2016 - OpenSSL 1.1.0 is quite different from previous releases. Developers need to recompile their software to support 1.1.0. Users should install BOTH the 1.0.2 series (LTS) and the 1.1.0 series for maximum application compatibility. See the official OpenSSL release strategy document for more details."

Let us know if that works out better for you.

23 Posts

October 27th, 2016 12:00

Adding this command to create the cluster allowed us to move forward without using OpenSSL

--disable_client_secure_communication

It would be great to add this caveat to the steps of the deployment guide

16 Posts

November 14th, 2016 02:00

Hi Rick,

I tried installing Win64 OpenSSL v1.0.2j

This still didn't work and I still get the error when trying to create the MDM cluster: Command failed: Secured communication is disabled on MDM. Refer to the installation guide.

Can someone please shed some light on this?  Is there additional steps that needs to be done once OpenSSL is installed?

I know that there is a way to install in non-secure authentication mode, when validating the uploaded CSV and expanding the "Advanced Options" and checking disable secure authentication for MDM and LIA, but I need to know what the impact of doing this is and why this option exists if we need to secure the communication between nodes.

Thanks,

John

16 Posts

November 14th, 2016 07:00

Hi Guys,

I have found the issue.  On the User Guide the requirements states that we need "Visual C++ redistributable 2010 package, 64-bit" but I have since found out that you actually need Visual C++ redistributable 2015 package, 64-bit to use secure authentication connection.

Thanks,

John

4 Posts

November 14th, 2016 14:00

Hi Gary, Glad to see you got past this.  How did you stumble on the resolution to use 2015 version instead of the documented requirement stating 2010? 

I see it is documented as 2010 in the ScaleIO Users Guide 302-002-472 Rev 02.  We should correct this if it is misleading for some configurations.

Regards, Angie

16 Posts

November 15th, 2016 02:00

Hi Angel,

I had the installation files for version 2.0 and did the following:

1. Install IM Gateway
  2. Browse to the IM Gateway installation wizard
  3. Use the complete CSV with all the pre-defined settings
  4. Tried installing VS 2010
  5. Installed OpenSSL 1.1.0 in both bin folder and in the windows directory (failed)
  6. Installed OpenSSL 1.0.2 in both bin folder and in the windows directory (failed)
  7. Installed OpenSSL 1.0.1 in both bin folder and in the windows directory (failed)
  8. Downloaded version ScaleIO 2.0.0.3 from the website and re-installed the Gateway
  9. When browsing to the IM Gateway installation wizard I noticed that there are links on this wizard now and browsed to the links.  The C++ redistributable took me to this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=48145
  10. Uninstalled VS C++ redistributable 2010
  11. And although the wizard gets further (passed the secure-authentication error), the wizard fails with "Unexpected error"
  12. Therefore I tried without uninstalling VS C++ redistributable 2010
  13. Therefore tried installing this with OpenSSL 1.0.1 in the bin folder (failed)
  14. Tried installing OpenSSL 1.0.1 in the windows folder (success)

It seems like both versions is required for the Install Manager Gateway to work correctly and provision the nodes in the cluster correctly.

Thanks,

John

No Events found!