Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 27th, 2013 18:00

ESRS Gateway and Policy Manager

Is there a EMC recommendation where to install ESRS as we have 2 VMAX's - Production and DR ?

21 Posts

February 28th, 2013 03:00

The ESRS Gateway needs to be on the same network as the VMAX and any other EMC equipment you may have and could potentially be at a physical location different to the location of the EMC equipment, so your choice really.

In your situation, what would make sense would be an ESRS Gateway at Prod and another at DR in an HR configuration. We would also then recommend a minimum of one Policy Manager again on the same network.

I could also get someone from your local EMC team to contact you for more information if you would like?

Trefor

69 Posts

February 28th, 2013 07:00

Trefor, if the only EMC products are 2 VMAX's wouldn't the ESRS Device Client already embedded on the VMAX service processors be an appropriate ESRS configuration?

February 28th, 2013 16:00

Trefor, could you get someone from my local EMC Team to contact me to discuss further ?

Thanks Denzyl !

February 28th, 2013 16:00

Trefor, could you get someone from my local EMC Team to contact me to discuss further ? – Thanks Denzyl

21 Posts

February 28th, 2013 21:00

Hi Denzyl,

I talked to EMC presales and he said you were planning the install now and there was an EMC PM already engaged. So your best point of contact is the PM and he can pull in whatever resources are required to help you here. The PM can escalate to me if he needs help, but I think the recommendation I made earlier is the best option for you. EMC will install this for you, so you only have to provide a server or VM built for each GW and the Policy Manager (if you have one), open the specific ports for communication and EMC will do the rest.

If you have any issues at all feel free to get back to me, but the PM should be able to get this sorted for you.

Trefor

21 Posts

February 28th, 2013 21:00

Hi Ben,

You are quite correct, IF the customer only had VMAX's and had no plans to add additional EMC products and did not require High Availability, the ESRS Device Client would be perfect.

But the customer asked "Is there a EMC recommendation" and with 2 x VMAX over two sites the customer I guessed liked the idea of High Availability (Prod and DR), so my recommendation would be a complementary HA system which means dual GW’s.

Secondly, I recognised the email address and from there looked up what the customer had EMC kit wise and they have a VPLEX so that changes the storey whether they want HA or not.

Trefor

• 

6.5K Posts

May 16th, 2013 04:00

Hi there ...

I could not help posting here as I had similar situation with my customer ...

Can Anybody confirm this ?

If customer had Primary and DR site ( 2sites I mean ) and wanting to have ESRS setup with one gateway server on each site , those gateway server can be redundant on each site ? Anyway , would this be supported ?

thanks!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 16th, 2013 08:00

Having one ESRS gateway server on each site is the normal method of achieving High Availability. They are logically clustered in the ESRS application, and run in an active-active manner. Both gateways are capable of handling communication with all the customer EMC devices. So each gateway needs to be able to "see" the EMC devices at both sites. If one gateway fails, all the activity is done by the remaining one.

No Events found!