Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2013 11:00

Isilon is now ESRS-enabled!

With the release of OneFS 7.1, Isilon products can utilize ESRS for remote connectivity. ESRS version must be at 2.24 or higher. Note that SupportIQ is still a supported connectivity solution, however the ESRS Gateway configuration is recommended, particularly if an existing Gateway is already deployed in your environment. Furthermore, with the upcoming November release of the EMC Online Support site, by navigating to "My Support > My Products" you can view cluster names for your connected Isilon products. For more information about the upcoming November Online Support release, please follow this link: https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-28835 and download the attachment (slide 8 includes information on the new Isilon cluster name feature). As always, please feel free to post any questions or feedback below.

Thanks,

Ben

72 Posts

November 4th, 2013 21:00

Hello.

I have a question about adding Isilon cluster to ESRS.

Add all nodes of cluster or several nodes(ex. first and second node), which is appropriate for Isilon cluster?

I found following section in page 57 "OneFS 7.1 Security Configuration Guide".

but can not understand exactly what it means...

October 30, 2013 - docu50225 - OneFS 7.1 Security Configuration Guide

https://support.emc.com/docu50225_OneFS_7.1_Security_Configuration_Guide.pdf?language=en_US

------

An important difference between SupportIQ and the ESRS Gateway is that SupportIQ

management is cluster-wide; SupportIQ manages all nodes. The ESRS Gateway manages

nodes individually; you select which nodes should be managed. Per-node management

may impact cluster performance

------

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 5th, 2013 15:00

Hello there,

When you add an Isilon cluster into ESRS the cluster will provision all of its nodes into the ESRS Gateway you specify automatically. As new nodes are added or nodes are removed the cluster will automatically push that information to the gateway as well.  Yes, you can choose a specific node to manage through the ESRS Gateway but this is no different from what SupportIQ does as far as accessing individual nodes or cluster.

Also, there is no performance impact of using ESRS. That statement is incorrect in the documentation and I will have that removed.

Anissa - Isilon ESRS Product Manager

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

Anissa,

any plans to retrofit ESRS for 6.5 and 7.0 clusters ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Not at this time, no. Customers on 6.x and 7.0 can continue to use SupportIQ for their remote support solution.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 5th, 2013 16:00

that's unfortunate, my hope was that with ESRS level 1 Isilon tech will be allowed to connect to the cluster ..right now only level 2 and above have that privilege. Ridiculous if you ask me (tired of spending time on Webex when SupportIQ is configured and available)

72 Posts

November 11th, 2013 01:00

Hello Anisa

Thank you for your answer!

I have another question regarding ESRS.

Customer requested us the list of all kinds of event which was sent via Isilon ESRS function.
I assumed that any process of Isilon node generate event file and take it over to connectmec... but, I can not find information about it.
Do you have any information about it?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 11th, 2013 12:00

If the customer is familiar with SupportIQ and Isilon's event notification methods you can simply tell him/her ESRS sends exactly the same events to EMC that are sent via SupportIQ. The OneFS 7.1 Event Reference lists all types of events and how to manage them. (Please ignore the way it wasn't updated to list both ESRS and SupportIQ as methods to send events! I'll get that fixed.)

No Events found!