Trefor
1 Nickel

Re: What is the difference between ESRS IP client and ESRS GW?

Jump to solution

Hi dynamox,

I can't answer specifically why you are being asked for a WebEx session when you have ESRS, but I would start with your local ASR or CE to find out why that is happening, because I don't believe that is normal.

Statically we looked at the numbers locally and for a 2 months period we saw 21% faster resolution and 50% less chance of a Sev 1 for customers will the full remote support package compared to those they didn't. I think corporate marketing quote some different numbers but they are based on ESRS or not.

Not being a customer I have no idea of the cost to deploy as you suggest, but what roughly does a VM and Win 2008 license cost out of interest?

You are correct it is automation and does technically lead to faster resolution because we are not reliant on humans. In your Webex example you may not have got the call at all if UDoctor determined it did not warrant human intervention, you may not have had a call for WebEx is they already knew the drive part number, you may not have had to wait an extra 30min while they ran the SPCollects which may have already been waiting for them.

What is the cost of your time at 2am to answer a WebEx call that coulld have been automated?

Trefor

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

Win2k8 VM - $90 /year

I already invested in ESRS Gateway configuration with HA config and Policy Manager, with my premium support contract on top of that .. so i already expect EMC support to do all that and not call me.  It does not happen very often, but the fact that it does it tells me there is either a training or competency issues when sites notes specifically say that devices are available in ESRS and credentials to login to them.

0 Kudos
Trefor
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi dynamox,

Many thanks for your feedback. I can't comment on the specifics of your WebEx calls,  but I'm sure your local EMC team would be only too happy to follow up for you.

For an existing customer with an existing setup I can see how you might weigh the effort/cost against the perceived value in this functionality, but I would like to think that a new customer that was going to deploy in your example 3 x VM’s, would set up one more for this feature. i.e. the net difference in cost and effort would be minimal.

We are working on getting corporate qualification to have this software installed on the Policy Manager so in your situation there would be no net change to your hardware/licensing and so there would be a gain (small as you may see it), but for $0. We have already tested and documented this configuration locally and so know it works well. I would be happy to discuss this with you local EMC team if you’re interested in following this up?

Trefor

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

Trefor,

i am not even opposed to purchasing another VM if i see the value proposition. If you were to tell me that by deploying this service EMC will lower my yearly maintenance support contract (because this saves EMC man power) i would be all for it.

It's a no-brainer for new installs (for sites that only manage CX/VNX) platforms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trefor
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi dynamox,

I can't promise you a discount on your maintenance, but I can promise to add your concerns to my project list of customer feedback. Many thanks again for your comments and if you ever have any issues with WebEx, I would be happy to look into it for you if you let me know.

Trefor

0 Kudos
kid3
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi,

It became more useful and interesting post then I expect. Many thanks to all of you!

I am wondering is it needed ConnectEMC to be installed on ESRS GW? Because when I tried to configure template on CX3/CX4 boxes it searching for ConnectEMC? I will be grateful if Trefor and Dynamox share their experience!

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

i have an old DL4100 that uses CX3 as its backend. When we were using ESRS 1.x , i used to use ConnectEMC but when we switched to ESRS 2.x Gateway ..i simply configured the Call_Home Template to send emails to my ESRS gateway, ConnectEMC tab does not have a check mark next to "Connect Home"

0 Kudos
Trefor
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Kiril,

Not sure if I have confused you here.

If you are only interested in IP Remote support, you only need an ESRS Gateway. BUT the ESRS Gateway will not offer centralised CLARiiON/VNX-Block management, for this you will need what has been referred to here as a CMW (another workstation, another VM) that has ESRS IP Client for VNX s/w bundle installed on it.

You can't install ESRS IP Client for VNX (that includes ACU, UDoctor and Connect EMC) on an ESRS Gateway, if you do you will destroy your ESRS Gateway setup.

So my personal recommendation:

Multiple EMC Products (excluding CLARiiON and VNX-Block) - Use the ESRS Gateway, there is no other choice.

Only CLARiiON or VNX Block and you do NOT want or need an HA setup, use the ESRS IP Client for VNX.

Multiple EMC Products (including CLARiiON and VNX-Block), use the ESRS Gateway (with or without HA) for connectivity, use the ESRS IP Client for VNX installer to install everything other than ESRS connectivity on a CMW and point the CMW to the ESRS Gateway.

If you have a CLARiiON and you deploy on the ESRS Gateway, you will miss out on some additional features, but you will have full connectivity. You can't just use the ESRS IP Client for VNX for everything because it only supports CLARiiON and VNX as it was specifically written to have the ability of being customer installable.

Does this make more sense?

Trefor

0 Kudos
Doxx2
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Do not install ConnectEMC on the Gateway - it is for use on a management station / server if you have one. For a Clariion  VNX Block in a Distributed environment ( NO management station ) you need to configure the template to email to the Gateway  - NOTE if you have HA Gateways you can oly configure the Clariion / VNX-Block to one of them for callhoem there is no failover in a Distributed environment

0 Kudos
Daniel000
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Trevor,

With the Clariion CX4 120, is the ESRS IP Client for VNX installed on a seperate machine, running Server 2008, sufficient enough for a simple call-home functionality? Or does the ConnectEMC need to be installed as well ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos