Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 5th, 2012 03:00

What is the difference between ESRS IP client and ESRS GW?

Hello,

I open this discussion to clear some points.

If I understand correctly ESRS GW and ESRS IP Client are two different SWs.

What is the difference between ESRS IP client and ESRS GW?

I have installed ESRS GW. It is monitored DMX box.

Is it needed to install ESRS IP over ESRS GW machine to monitor clarion CX box?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 23rd, 2012 07:00

i have an old DL4100 that uses CX3 as its backend. When we were using ESRS 1.x , i used to use ConnectEMC but when we switched to ESRS 2.x Gateway ..i simply configured the Call_Home Template to send emails to my ESRS gateway, ConnectEMC tab does not have a check mark next to "Connect Home"

25 Posts

July 23rd, 2012 08:00

Do not install ConnectEMC on the Gateway - it is for use on a management station / server if you have one. For a Clariion  VNX Block in a Distributed environment ( NO management station ) you need to configure the template to email to the Gateway  - NOTE if you have HA Gateways you can oly configure the Clariion / VNX-Block to one of them for callhoem there is no failover in a Distributed environment

21 Posts

July 23rd, 2012 08:00

Hi Kiril,

Not sure if I have confused you here.

If you are only interested in IP Remote support, you only need an ESRS Gateway. BUT the ESRS Gateway will not offer centralised CLARiiON/VNX-Block management, for this you will need what has been referred to here as a CMW (another workstation, another VM) that has ESRS IP Client for VNX s/w bundle installed on it.

You can't install ESRS IP Client for VNX (that includes ACU, UDoctor and Connect EMC) on an ESRS Gateway, if you do you will destroy your ESRS Gateway setup.

So my personal recommendation:

Multiple EMC Products (excluding CLARiiON and VNX-Block) - Use the ESRS Gateway, there is no other choice.

Only CLARiiON or VNX Block and you do NOT want or need an HA setup, use the ESRS IP Client for VNX.

Multiple EMC Products (including CLARiiON and VNX-Block), use the ESRS Gateway (with or without HA) for connectivity, use the ESRS IP Client for VNX installer to install everything other than ESRS connectivity on a CMW and point the CMW to the ESRS Gateway.

If you have a CLARiiON and you deploy on the ESRS Gateway, you will miss out on some additional features, but you will have full connectivity. You can't just use the ESRS IP Client for VNX for everything because it only supports CLARiiON and VNX as it was specifically written to have the ability of being customer installable.

Does this make more sense?

Trefor

3 Posts

September 20th, 2012 21:00

Hi Trevor,

With the Clariion CX4 120, is the ESRS IP Client for VNX installed on a seperate machine, running Server 2008, sufficient enough for a simple call-home functionality? Or does the ConnectEMC need to be installed as well ?

Thanks.

21 Posts

September 20th, 2012 23:00

Hi Daniel,

ConnectEMC will install with the bundle and is required for call home. What is your product mix?

Trefor

3 Posts

September 25th, 2012 16:00

Thanks for the reply Trevor,

We have a Clariion CX4 120 setup.

Am I correct in saying that for a simple call to home setup with a Single Gateway Client Server with no Policy Manager required, all I will need is the ESRS IP Client for VNX and no ConnectEMC?

I'm just a little confused with ConnectEMC, due to the fact that it is a requirement under the

"Managed Device Communication to ESRS IP Client" of the Customer Implementation Guide section, where it states: Depending on the device type, Call-Home notifications may be sent to EMC via the ESRS IP Client.

Where the requirment is:

1. Requires separate Windows monitoring workstationrunning ConnectEMC

Or will the

ESRS IP Client for VNX and no ConnectEMC be enough ?

Thank You

21 Posts

September 25th, 2012 18:00

Hi Daniel,

If you only have a CX4, you only need to install "ESRS IP Client for VNX". It will install everything you need to get remote support working. ConnectEMC is included with the package and will be installed automatically i.e. you don't need to install anything separately.

If you have a look at the release notes you will find this:

Product description

The EMC® ESRS IP Client for VNX(replaces ESRS IP Client for CLARiiON and CLARalertsoftware suite monitors VNX and legacy (EMC CX, CX3, CX4, and AX4-5 series) systems with EMC Unisphere /Navisphere® Manager enabled, and provides event notification through ConnectEMC.

Trefor

21 Posts

September 25th, 2012 23:00

Daniel,

"ESRS IP Client for VNX" replaces "ESRS IP Client for CLARiiON" and supports both products.

I guess technically it should be called "ESRS IP Client for VNX and CLARiiON", but thats another story

Trefor

3 Posts

September 25th, 2012 23:00

Thanks Trefor,

Is IP Client 1.0 for Clariion better to be used with the CX4-120 or is the IP Client for VNX the same?

Sorry just read that the Client for VNX

"replaces ESRS IP Client for CLARiiON"

Thanks

69 Posts

June 20th, 2013 12:00

You will need to open a service request for this. ESRS for Data Domain must be installed and configured by EMC using the Gateway configuration. There are customer-installable ESRS options for CLARiiON, VNX, and VNXe products but unfortunately not for Data Domain. You will also need to make sure the Data Domain "ASUP" feature is set up in addition to ESRS so that the system sends alerts/notifications to Customer Service.

June 20th, 2013 12:00

Hi Trefor

Sorry, Do you have a link for download "ESRS GW IP Client"?

I need it for a Data Domain 260

Thanks

No Events found!