Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2017 08:00

Dell Data Protection | E - WSprobe error

Hello,

Background: We are performing the Windows upgrade from 1511 to 1703. We are using DDP v8.13.

To prepare DDP, we run 'wsprobe -z' before the Windows 10 upgrade kicks off. 

We are hitting an error:

WPRE: Error 0x1f encrypting for "SrvMonOff"

Error 0x1f configuring Registry Monitoring for Windows Upgrade Mode

----

and this causes a Windows upgrade prompt to remove DDP and contact Dell Support. 

It happens very rarely, but it halts the upgrade process and has a prompt we don't want the user to see. We've been in pilot for the last month and we have had it come up twice. 

The first time it happened, we chalked it up to the computer being freshly imaged 1511 and a reboot fixed it. It happened again today and a reboot is not fixing the issue. The second computer has been in production for months and is a daily use machine by a service desk user. 

Can anyone give me some insight on why this error happens? How to prevent this error? Anything else we need to keep an eye out for? Logs to check? Help? 

Thanks! 

156 Posts

October 20th, 2017 07:00

hi Benjamink,

There are some rare situations in which we are not properly able to write a registry key properly based on the key being in use. We are working towards a solution to this at this time.

We have seen this more often on devices that are leveraging External Media Edition (now known as Encryption External Media), do you happen to be running that edition of the Dell Encryption product?

We have some changes in this area in our 8.15 release, if you have a device in this state, are we able to attempt an 8.15 build to see if it resolves?

Let me know if you need a download location for that build, and i can provide it :)

I hope that helps!

2 Posts

October 20th, 2017 08:00

Hey Dale,

We only use the EME part of DDP.

We've been working with Dell Support. They let us know the two registry keys that needed to be edited BUT we had major issues with DDP blocking USB drivers and network devices. This caused users to be unable to make network connections and use their docking stations. A reinstall of DDP fixed their issues.

We ultimately had to do a uninstall of DDP before the Win10 upgrade then a reinstall after the upgrade was complete.

-Ben

1 Message

February 9th, 2018 19:00

156 Posts

February 26th, 2018 10:00

hi Benjamink

I apologize for the delays in reply to your query, the transition of the techforums took quite some time to process, which left us unable to reply. 

WSprobe -z attempts to write several registry keys, and this specific step is attempting to write a registry key within HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\CMGShield

we may want to validate that this registry location is not being blocked. 

We have seen several instance in where this registry was being blocked by an application that monitors registry read/writes. Commonly this would be seen in an anti-virus application. Could there be something unique on this system that is preventing this key from being written?

No Events found!