Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 27th, 2013 05:00

Cisco Switch configuration

I have IONIX installed and I was wondering if the switches should be sending SNMP traps to the IONIX server.  I currently have all of the switches configured and working with SNMP.  I just wasn't sure if I also need to have SNMP traps going to the server as well.  I have Trap, OI, SA, and AM-PM installed and running.

Thanks,

Alex

August 27th, 2013 06:00

Hello Alex,

The answer to your question is that it really depends on how fine grained a monitoring of your devices you want.  You can operate perfectly fine with out having the Smarts monitor traps, but the Smarts IP software is designed so that it can monitor the following 4 traps:  Link Up, Link Down, Cold Start, Warm Start.  These traps allow the Smarts IP software to alert users to an unstable system that might not be picked up due to Snmp traffic issues.

Then there are other type of traps that you might want to notify on such as threshold traps, or other management traps.  These traps would be configured to be sent to the Smarts trap exploder and then to the Smarts trap adapter.  The trap adapter would then create a notification for the Smarts OI software and OI would process the notification and send it to SAM. 

The traps can be managed one of two ways.  Using the Smarts NOTIF feature (this requires a separate license to run and is part of the Smarts SAM software, the NOTIF editor ships with the Smarts GUI for configuring NOTIF) or the trap_mgr.conf file in the \SAM\smarts\local\conf\icoi folder.  The NOTIF is a very powerful GUI that allows you to modify how Smarts handles a trap and the notifications it generates interact with other notifications in the SAM/OI and is more felxible then the trap_mgr.conf file.

I hope this answers your question.

Cheers,

Sean

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 29th, 2013 22:00

Alex can you please let us know the version of SAM. OI and AM-PM you are using?

Also I am attaching the Adapter platform guide which has the SNMP trap configuring section. I would request you to please go through that section and let us know if you are able to achieve your target or not.

1 Attachment

No Events found!