Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2015 13:00

Just starting... help needed with very simple ASL/DMCTL example script under Windows

Our organization uses SMARTS Global Console GUI 9.4 to display alerts for network devices with connectivity issues.  We start SMARTS Console on our workstations using the below command-line in under Windows.  I was hoping someone could be kind enough to PLEASE provide a real-world working example Windows-friendly command-line script (using ASL and/or DMCTL) to display all device names showing up as Alerts in the SMARTS global console GUI.  Ideally, something extremely simple I can copy and paste in a Windows command prompt; and, actually get some kind of meaningful result/list back.  This is the quickest way for me to learn new API/command-line syntax.  I'm already proficient in PowerShell and Windows batch script.  I already looked for example Powershell modules/cmdlets, but didn't find anything online.

C:\InCharge\CONSOLE\smarts\bin\sm_gui.exe -b smartsbroker-org.company.com -Dcom.smarts.autoAttachDM=ManagerName -Dcom.smarts.userid=MKANET -Dcom.smarts.password=MyPassword -Dcom.smarts.disable_keepalives=1

PS:  I purposefully didnt mentioned Perl since I'm not interested in installing any 3rd-party coding language runtimes.

Thanks so much in advance for anyone that can help me get started. 

-MKANET

13 Posts

October 28th, 2015 03:00

Hi MKANET,

As you have installed the Console on the windows system, there are already some perl and asl modules installed anyway.

Might xml-export-notifications-sample.asl help you (for more detail see https://emc--c.na5.visual.force.com/apex/KB_HowTo?id=kA0700000004HNZ ). Executing the command this way: C:\InCharge\CONSOLE\smarts\bin\sm_adapter -s INCHARGE-SAM scripts/xml-export-notifications-sample.asl ?

2 Posts

October 29th, 2015 10:00

Thanks!  I'm getting a "Login to Domain Manager failed; permission denied; in file "...." at line 4....

I am specifying the same userID and password that's used in the GUI.  Is it possible that running these scripts against the specified Domain Manager requires script execute privileges in addition to what's needed for the GUI to display alerts?  Also, I didn't see for a way to specify username and password as input parameters for sm_adapter.

Lastly, I' not able to access the Salesforce link in your post

13 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 02:00

I ran a dummy script with sm_adapter using a normal/default user and it worked fine. I guess it depends what you want to do.  But... the error you are getting is referring to a problem with the logon into the domain. Are you sure you have access with the used account to that domain? Switching user in the commandline is possible, check sm_adapter --help for that. Do not think it is applicable for this.

While thinking this through I came up with something entirely different. If you just want a very simple extract... I didn't found it usable in my case, but it might fit for you: /smarts/bin/dmctl -s INCHARGE-SAM getI ICS_Notification

No Events found!