Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2013 05:00

Q1: Services AM & PM vs AM-PM Q2: Disable IPv6

Question1:

I did a default installation and it left me with 3 seperate services and I was just wondering if it is overkill.

sm_services snip-it

sm_service install --force --name=ic-am-pm-server "--dname=EMC Smarts Availability and Performance Manager Server" ...

sm_service install --force --name=ic-am-server "--dname=EMC Smarts Availability Manager Server" ...

sm_service install --force --name=ic-pm-server "--dname=EMC Smarts Performance Manager Server"

So can I just remove the separate AM and PM services and utilize the single AM-PM service?

If so, is there any steps that I need to follow in order to keep it from complaining about the service being disconnected (i.e. removal INCHARGE-AM under global manager) ?

Question 2:

Is there a way to disable the IPv6 managers? For example INCHARGE-AM [IPv6] or INCHARGE-AM-PM [IPv6]

Thanks in advance!

November 25th, 2013 12:00

Hello JJ,

Depending on what you want to do you only really need one of those services.  They are pretty default and it is rather rare for anyone to use the EMC Smarts Availability Manager Server nor the EMC Smarts Performance Manager Server.  Most just use the EMC Smarts Availability Manager Server.

So you may remove these from your services by disabling the service in your services admin tool on Windows systems, or using the sm_service command in the /smarts/bin directory on Unix systems.

To get rid of the alerts about the missing domains being disconnected in the global manager you need to change the default configuration of the global manager..  The alert is actually about the domains and not the service as these alerts can be used to find out about connectivity/communication issues.  Use the following steps to change the configuration:

1. Open your Smarts SAM gui and connect using the administrative user name and password (admin/changeme by default).
  2. Click Configure and select Global Manager Administration Console (we commonly call it the GMAC).
  3. In the GMAC window expand the "ICS Configuration"
  4. Expand "IC Domain Configuration"
  5. Expand "Domains"
  6. In the below list find the names for the Server.
  7. Click the name of each domain you don't want an alert about.
  8. The domains configuration will appear in the right window pane.
  9. In the top left corner of the right window pane is the "Enabled" check box.
  10. Uncheck the check box and then click Apply at the bottom of the window.
  11. Finally click the Red circular arrow under the word Escalation in the Menu Bar.

You have to click the red arrow or the changes will not be applied to the server, only saved.

In regards to your second question.  To turn off the IPV6 domain (it is the same domain as the IPV4 just an IPV6 interface layer) you will need to change the runcmd_env.sh and set the line that read SM_IP_VERSIONS=v4v6 to SM_IP_VERSIONS=v4.  After the change is made you have to shutdown the Smarts domain (stop and restart the service).

To make this change you have to use the sm_edit program located in the /smarts/bin directory.  The command in Unix would be:

/smarts/bin/sm_edit ../local/conf/runcmd_env.sh

In windows you would have to open a command window and navigate to \smarts\bin.  Then run the command sm_edit.exe ..\local\conf\runcmd_env.sh

This should open up the file in wordpad or notepad for editing.

This is the method you have to use for windows since Smarts is very sensitive to the characters that windows will insert into files when opened via the icon.

I hope this answers your questions.

Cheers,
Sean

No Events found!