Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2007 07:00

SNMP Alerts

HI All,
I am a newbie at SMARTS, we just got this installed and discovered few devices. we are forwarding SNMP traps from these devices to SMARTS, but i dont see that on the Global Console.
following daemons/services are running
RUNNING ic-icoi-server
RUNNING ic-trapd-receiver

Am i missing anything... i am coming from IBM Netview field, where if you have MIBS loaded you will see alerts...

any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Ashish Vashisht

1 Message

September 4th, 2007 13:00

As far as I know there is configuration file which you need to update for the required traps on notification log.

10 Posts

September 10th, 2007 00:00

Gday Ashish,

Have a look in the /SAM/smarts/local/conf/icoi/trap_mgr.conf file. This is where you would configure all the MIB translations. Right down the bottom of the file there should be a section something like:

#######################################################################
#
# Catch All trap - This should only be used during diagnostic trap
# investigations. Once complete, the entry should then be
# disabled (commented out).
#
BEGIN_TRAP * * *
ClassName: SNMPTrapCatchAll
InstanceName: $SYS$ $E$ $N$ $S$
EventName: Catch all
Severity: 3
EventText: $V*$ test event trap...catch all clause
Expiration: 600
State: NOTIFY
UserDefined1: $V*$
LogFile: catchall-list.log
END_TRAP

Just make sure that the lines from BEGIN_TRAP to END_TRAP are not commented out and restart the ic-trapd-receiver and you should start seeing traps in the Console.

If it is working you can go through and start defining the traps per the example in that file and then re-comment out the CatchAll section so you only receive exactly the traps you want.

Good Luck.

Dan.

7 Posts

October 11th, 2007 05:00

I successfully tried this option for some traps.. but still i am not able to get any VMWARE Traps. vmware admin is sending traps to 2 SNMP listeners on 2 different hosts, one for Netview and other SMARTS.
i am getting the traps in Netview, but it is not showing in SMARTS (not even as an unidentified trap).

i was hoping that there is better integration between smarts and vmware.

Thanks
Ashish

89 Posts

October 11th, 2007 06:00

Hi,

Did u configure your trap revceiver in Vmware properly, you have to configure the ip address, port and community string. Although without community might work.
Do you have any Firewall that might block the traffic?
Can you maybe install a sniffer at your server side and check if the traps are received at all?
I guess you do receive traps OK from other sources so your trapd conf should be OK

cheers

F.

7 Posts

October 11th, 2007 06:00

1) Did u configure your trap revceiver in Vmware properly, you have to configure the ip address, port and community string. Although without community might work.

Ans: YES this is checked and verified and settings are OK.

2) Do you have any Firewall that might block the traffic?

Ans: No Firewall within these servers

3) Can you maybe install a sniffer at your server side and check if the traps are received at all?

Ans: Not sure if i can do that... i was thinking that Smarts may be able to tell if it is receiving? I will have to tell Network People to see if we can do that.

89 Posts

October 11th, 2007 07:00

OKI,

Which OS are you running?
If windows you can tray to install a sniffer, software base like Etheral but if it's unix you can use tcpdump

you can also set the trace options on the trap receiver in order to check what's going on. I copied the the possible options in order to trace as stated in the SMARTS documentation (SAM admin guide)
---------------------------
Overview of message logging
As depicted in Figure 7-1, a Smarts application writes messages to either standard
output (stdout) or to standard error (stderr), or sends messages to the Smarts
exception logging mechanism for severity level checking and filtering. Standard
output is intended for writing conventional output, and standard error is intended
for writing diagnostic output.
The Smarts exception logging mechanism prints messages to the following receivers:
◆ Smarts log file (via redirected stderr)
A Smarts log file is created in the BASEDIR/smarts/local/logs directory for each
Smarts application started with the --output option. Any Smarts application
installed as a service automatically has --output in its invocation.
◆ System error logger
This logger is the syslog mechanism on UNIX systems and the Event Logger on
Windows systems.
Smarts messages are controlled by the following standard options for the sm_service
command and environment variables.
For the sm_service options that use a minimum security level, the level can be:
None, Emergency, Alert, Fatal, Critical, Error, Warning, Notice, Informational,
and Debug. Note that Fatal is equivalent to Emergency, Alert, or Critical. See the
top of Figure 7-1 for the range of security levels.
◆ Option --output[= ]
Used to capture and redirect stdout and stderr output for a Smarts application to
a Smarts log file in the BASEDIR/smarts/local/logs directory. The name of the
log file is .log, or the --logname value if is omitted. If --output is not
specified in the invocation line, the application¿s stdout and stderr output prints
by default to the console screen.
◆ Option --errlevel=
Used by the Smarts exception logging mechanism to determine the minimum
exception level for writing messages to stderr. By default, --errlevel is set to
Warning. Exceptions below this level are not written to stderr.
◆ Option --loglevel=
Used by the Smarts exception logging mechanism to determine the minimum
exception level for sending messages to the system error logger. By default,
--loglevel is set to Error. Exceptions below this level are not forwarded to the
system error logger.
◆ Option --logname=
Used to specify the name of the Smarts log file and the name of the sending
application in messages destined for the system error logger. The default is the
name of the application specified by the --name option (or just -n).
◆ Option --tracelevel=
Used to print a stack trace to the Smarts log file when an exception at this level or
above occurs. By default, --tracelevel is set to Fatal. Exceptions below this level
do not write a stack trace.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i hope you can at least get to know if your system gets the events from VMware

cheers

Fernando

89 Posts

October 24th, 2007 00:00

hey ashishv ,

I guess u did solve the your issue?
How did you solve it? what was the problem?

thanks in advance

Fernando

7 Posts

October 24th, 2007 05:00

Yes i was able to... it was simply a User Error :(
when i created TRAPS from MIB file, for some reason trap-compiler utility didnt generate VMWARE Enterprise OID in the Traps and just mentioned BEGIN TRAP vmware, instead of BEGIN TRAP

so i just modified the trap config and i started seeing those traps...
I did discover VMWARE ESX server(s) from Smarts along with these changes.

Thanks
Ashish
No Events found!