Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2017 01:00

Smarts trap_mgr.conf vs. Notif - any documentation available?

Hi, I've been looking for some documentation on Notif but as yet I am unable to locate a specific document unless embedded within one of the other EMC Smarts components - does anyone know if one is available?

Also, can anyone explain some of the capabilities and/or benefits of integrating SNMP traps via Notif rather than directly in trap_mgr.conf itself.

thanks.

21 Posts

January 25th, 2017 06:00

NOTIF is described in the document 'EMC Smarts Notification Module User Guide'. The advantage of using NOTIF over trap_mgr.asl is that it is a lot easier to configure, and provides for things like deduplication.

22 Posts

January 25th, 2017 07:00

Hi Peter & thanks for the response but with that in mind I still cannot locate said file on the EMC support site searching by name, do you have a link to it by chance?

a few questions if you don't mind.

1. If using trap_mgr.conf for an SNMP integration I needed to jump out into an ASL script for say some parsing of the data/varbinds in order to create the notification, would you still need to do this ASL bit if using Notif?

2. would you say Notif is a GUI for someone who does not necessarily understand SNMP and therefore a less complex or does it offer real integration benefits for an experienced person.

Mark.

21 Posts

January 25th, 2017 22:00

I found the document in "docu57458_Smarts-Service-Assurance-Manager-9.4-Documentation-Portfolio.pdf"

You don't need specific ASL to parse the trap - it arrives in NOTIF with the verbinds available as V1, V2, ...

The GUI allows you to assemble the notification by referring to the varbinds and other fields, and you can use trap-specific ASL to add other information.

22 Posts

January 26th, 2017 03:00

Capture.PNG.pngsorry Peter, still no joy searching for that document, see the attachment with the search results. I can search for other documents within the SAM product and find these OK, so I presume my use of the search tool is ok.

Mark.

21 Posts

January 26th, 2017 07:00

Try this:

https://support.emc.com/docu79303_Smarts_Service_Assurance_Manager_9.4.2_Documentation_Portfolio.pdf?language=en_US&language=en_US

Look in the ‘Service Assurance Manager 9.2 Documentation applicable to 9.3 and higher’ folder.

22 Posts

January 30th, 2017 00:00

thanks Peter I have that now, is there any reason information for Notif does not appear in later versions of the product documentation, i.e. how come it is not included specifically in 9.4

thanks, Mark.

21 Posts

January 30th, 2017 04:00

Hi Mark. You'll have to ask someone from EMC that question ...

53 Posts

February 1st, 2017 13:00

Mark,

That is a great question regarding notification module documentation.  I will look into this.

No Events found!