Highlighted
hparra
1 Copper

Using one of IONIX ASL to unmanage device components right before the discovery process ends

Jump to solution

Dear all,

Our customer has requested us to disable some objects which match certain rules.

I coded a script which iterates all devices but it takes too long to run, so I would like to apply all the rules right before the discovery of each new device is finished. This may add some time but will make sure that each device is added to the topology with all required unmanage operations already performed and without further delays caused by processing many devices at a time.

The basic idea is:

1) Evaluate one rule at a time

2) If the rule matches, unmanage the corresponding parent or child object

The code is almost ready, but my question is, which would be the right ASL file to modify for this reason?

I thought that rules/discovery/custom/custom-end-post.asl  would work, but I don't see how I can get a list of the devices just discovered.ç

Thank you and regards,

Hector

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nbruce
2 Iron

Re: Using one of IONIX ASL to unmanage device components right before the discovery process ends

Jump to solution

When altering post processor scripts, the discovery threads will have already completed and you won't be able to identify which device was discovered.

The only possibility to accomplish this, would be creating a probe driver and call the drive at the end of the device discovery.  An example would be how the ic-protocol-discovery.asl is invoked at the end of every device discovery to categorize them under the protocol collection.

Smarts already has a provision to do exactly what the customer has requested.

GA_Driver::End-Device-Custom-System-Driver { ReadsRulesFrom = GA_RuleSet::End-Device-Custom-System-RS {filename = "discovery/custom/custom-end-system.asl"

}

waitForCompletion = TRUE

}

The driver mentioned above is added to the end device driver as follows:

End-Device-Generic-Driver {

drivers += {"End-Device-Custom-System-Driver", 60}

}

In conclusion you just need to change or plug in the custom logic in the file:: "custom-end-system.asl" and this will run at the end of every device discovery and not during the post processing.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
nbruce
2 Iron

Re: Using one of IONIX ASL to unmanage device components right before the discovery process ends

Jump to solution

When altering post processor scripts, the discovery threads will have already completed and you won't be able to identify which device was discovered.

The only possibility to accomplish this, would be creating a probe driver and call the drive at the end of the device discovery.  An example would be how the ic-protocol-discovery.asl is invoked at the end of every device discovery to categorize them under the protocol collection.

Smarts already has a provision to do exactly what the customer has requested.

GA_Driver::End-Device-Custom-System-Driver { ReadsRulesFrom = GA_RuleSet::End-Device-Custom-System-RS {filename = "discovery/custom/custom-end-system.asl"

}

waitForCompletion = TRUE

}

The driver mentioned above is added to the end device driver as follows:

End-Device-Generic-Driver {

drivers += {"End-Device-Custom-System-Driver", 60}

}

In conclusion you just need to change or plug in the custom logic in the file:: "custom-end-system.asl" and this will run at the end of every device discovery and not during the post processing.

0 Kudos