Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2015 06:00

snmp discovery process

hi Experts,

In Smarts, is there a way to filter the discovery of a group of devices using only particular MIB? The reason is that if i do a SNMP walk, some of the preloaded vendor MIB is causing the some performance issue on the network.

Cheers

Guan

53 Posts

March 6th, 2015 08:00

Guand

One option would be to setup some discovery filters in the Smarts Domain Admin Console.  If the main reason for concern though is during an SNMP walk, you could also try disabling SNMP getBulk requests by sysOID.

1) /IP/smarts/bin/sm_edit conf/discovery/tpmgr-param.conf

2) GetBulkPattern

An example:

GetBulkPattern- .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.51 False

3) /IP/smarts/bin/sm_tpmgr -s -load-conf=tpmgr-param.conf

4) rediscovery the device(s)

5 Posts

March 7th, 2015 01:00

Hi Bruce,

Can i disable particular OID within that MIB, the MIB is still needed but just one OID is causing the problem.

Thanks!

Guan

170 Posts

March 9th, 2015 04:00

Hi Guan,

Please note that Smarts IP does not SNMPWalk a device during the discovery process.

Instead, once Smarts IP gets the SysOID value of the device, it will assign drivers based on the certification for that SysOID. These drivers have defined OIDs which are used during device discovery and normal polling.

If you are running Smarts IP v9.2 or greater, you can use the OIDInfo tool to see the exact OIDs that Smarts IP is using for this device. Please see KB article here:

https://support.emc.com/kb/191288 - Smarts IP: How to use the Smarts Console to see list of OIDs that Smarts IP is polling for Discovery and Monitoring for a particular device?

It is not possible to filter out particular MIBs during Smarts discovery.

One option, if you wish to filter some of OIDs in the list created by OIDInfo is to setup views on the device to prevent the device from responding to SNMP Requests to these OIDs.

For instance, on Cisco devices, Views are created using the following commands:

snmp-server view test 1.3.6.1.6.3.18 excluded

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Kind Regards,

Paul O'Rourke

5 Posts

March 9th, 2015 05:00

Hi Paul,

Really appreciate your reply, my problem is really that we don't have the views on some firewalls.

You mentioned SysOID is used to bind drivers with defined OID, can i bind different set of OIDs based on sysObjectID? If so i can use different MIBs on different deice types?

Kind Rgds,

Guan

170 Posts

March 10th, 2015 05:00

Hi Guan,

We do not recommend editing device certifications as these device certifications are created by engineering during the official certification process. By editing these certification files, you will customizing this official certification, and the discovery and monitoring of these devices may no longer work as expected.

Another option is to disable SNMP polling for these devices by adding them as ICMPONLY devices.

These devices will simply be monitored for availability using ICMP(ping) packets only.

Kind Regards,

Paul O'Rourke

53 Posts

March 10th, 2015 07:00

Hello Guan,

Yes you can use ICMPONLY for discovery if you choose.  The drawback is you will not be able to monitor any SNMP data from devices, Smarts will only watch ICMP to that device, nothing else.  Basically you'll know if the device is up or down that is all.

Cheers,

Nate

5 Posts

March 10th, 2015 07:00

Hi Paul,

Can you use ICMPONLY for discovery as well? What is the drawback if i use ICMPONLY then?

Lost of thanks

Guan

No Events found!