Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2016 11:00

EMC SourceOne Exclude Search Criteria

I am conducting a discovery search for what initially appeared to be a unique name, however, we have a member within our organization with that same "unique" name. Initial search results returned 18,000+ hits. If we're able to exclude our coworker's name/identity, we could drastically reduce the amount of search results. Is there an easy way to exclude that member's identity?

114 Posts

November 3rd, 2016 05:00

Do they both have the same email address or is it personx@company.org and personx2@company.org?

if so, you can set owner to the emailaddress of the person you want to include. (which excludes the second mailbox)

2 Posts

November 3rd, 2016 09:00

Unfortunately, we have only one known email address (internal member) who needs to be excluded from the search. What I have done at this point is use NOT operator in a search expression to exclude known variances of our member's signature line, title block, nicknames, common references, etc. This is obviously not a comprehensive solution, but it drastically reduced the number of "false positives."

Appreciate your input!

600 Posts

November 12th, 2016 16:00

Greetings,

I am unsure if you are using Microsoft Exchange or IBM Lotus Notes environment. Instead of using display names of users you should be looking to use their identities. In Discovery Manager documentation and SourceOne Admin guide there is information on identity management.

In case of Exchange environment most of the emails gets archived with LegacyExchangeDN, you may create a new identity with that LegacyExchangeDN and any knows x500 or SMTP addresses of the user for whom you need data. That way you will get reasonable hits you are after.

Similar things can be done for lotus notes environment as well.

You may want to read more around identity management as it will help you in future to deal with discovery of emails for users who would have departed from your organisation.

If you are doing it for legal purpose, it is better to have more results than lesser. Let legal team do the data culling because in such matters providing more data is better than providing lesser data. I am not legal expert but those are my personal views.

Best regards,

Rajan Katwal

No Events found!