Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2010 02:00

EMC Sourceone F5 Load Balancer

Has anyone managed to use an BigIP F5 LTM to load balance between Sourceone front end web interface servers?

272 Posts

December 13th, 2013 06:00

The Web Interface would be port 443 if you are using https for external access, http (port 80) could be used for internal only but 443 is recommended.

Ports 8001 & 8002 are for the Offline Access Client.

I haven't done used the F5 specifically but have load balanced with others devices, both the Web Interface and the Offline Access Client.

Yeah this is internal only so we're using port 80.  We are primarily looking at load balancing the offline access client connections. Thanks.

Yes I am trying to do the same thing but can't find anything out there on how to do it.  Has anyone done this successfully? There is not much of anything out there on the topic! I know that you need sticky sessions enabled per the SourceOne documentation and that the SourceOne worker servers listen on ports 8001 and 8002.

600 Posts

December 15th, 2013 15:00

Greetings,

Most of the configuration about SSO and load balancing mentioned in documentation to my understanding is for SourceOne Web Search and sticky session is where authentication to HTTP/HTTPS is meant to happen along with session needed to be maintained.

Offline Access does not use HTTP, its traffic is TCP based. By design there is load balancing built into Mobile Services and Offline Access. When there is a local cache miss and used selects and email that go to port 8001 for quick retrieval. Backfill of the cache happens through port 8002. Backfill happens in a queued controlled manner.

If offline access is rolled in a managed manner you hardly will flood the server e.g. making sure that Offline Access client is rolled back in controller manner before shortcut jobs will run. This way offline access will already cache most of the data front hand and when shortcutting will occur then cache do not need to be backfilled because it already has full items.

Most of the customers I came across were using DNS round robin for managing it. If you have f5 then yeah why not use it. See if you open up TCP ports what happens. One may have to track what other traffic parses through because authentication from Outlook still gets passed to the SourceOne servers to check ownership of the messages.

If stuck, you may want to open support ticket using support.emc.com website.

Regards,

Rajan

No Events found!