Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 1st, 2009 09:00

Offline Acess not launching with Outlook

Is anyone experiencing this?  We did a rollout of Offline Access (was pushed out siliently) and have a GPO to apply settings.  We are finding that the ExOAgent.exe is not launching with Outlook.  The applicaiton is getting installed, and we can also see the EMC SourceOne tab in the TOOLS | OPTIONS section of Outlook.

29 Posts

September 2nd, 2009 13:00

Ok, in doing some testing it there are a couple of things:

1) Under Outlook | Tools | Options - The EMC SourceOne Tab - for server settings EMC EmailXtender is chosen, not EMC SourceOne.  There is no setting in the GPO to address this.  Shouldn't EMC SourceOne be the default?

2) All of our PC's had the application pushed out silently running as an administrator of the local pc, not the signed on user.  I did a reinstall (not silent) of one PC as the signed on user and the application ran fine after that.   Is there some hook that needs the logged on user?  We do not give our users admin privelages on the local workstations.

September 3rd, 2009 02:00

Hi,

Could you give more information about OA version you're distributing ?

Last good version is contained in ES1 SP1 6.51.1035 version after July 13.

Is it an upgrade or first installation ?

There're a couple of known issue reguarding OA you can find in ES1 release notes doc that could be related to your problems:

Installation: Install screens for cache location and server settings show defaults instead of

GPO settings

If you specify the cache location or server settings in Offline Access

Group Policy before you run the Offline Access installation wizard,

the default settings are shown in the wizard screens instead of the

GPO settings.

When you restart Outlook after installing Offline Access, the GPO

settings are displayed in the Outlook > Tools > Options > EMC

SourceOne tab.

(SDR 30752)

Installation: If you run the install wizard as a user that does not have an Outlook profile, the

EMC SourceOne server port settings are not saved

Problem

If you log on as a user without an Outlook profile on a client

computer, and you install Offline Access using the installation

wizard, then the EMC SourceOne server port settings are not saved.

Workaround

Install Offline Access silently, using registry keys or GPO to push out

configuration settings.

Known issues and limitations

(SDR 30000)

EMC SourceOne Email Management Release Notes

Some suppositions :

Did you try to close/open outlook or better to log off/on the user ?

Did you try to force GPO with gpupdate from command prompt ?

OA must be installed with local admin privileges.

You correctly run silent install using an admin account, but maybe in this case ( see 2nd above know issue) there's no administrator outlook profiles into user's pc so ports setting are not saved.

I confirm you, by my experience, standard default ring setting fo OA is EmailXtender instead of SourceOne.

I hope these information could help you to find the solution

Best regards

Andrea

September 8th, 2009 19:00

Hi Jamie,

I'd like to welcome you to this EMC community and to introduce myself.  I am the Software Engineering Manager responsible for EMC SourceOne Offline Access.

Regarding the issue you encountered when using the silent install capability, if you are using the GA version of the product (v 6.5.0.4115) then you may have encountered a problem that we resolved in a later release.  As you noted the GPO template does not set the server type which is intended since we can detect the server type from the server values (URL vs. Port information).  We resolved the issue with the server detection code in Service Pack 1 and provided a workaround in our release notes.  The workaround essentially is to push out the registry key HKCU\software\policies\EMC\OfflineAccess\1.0:  DWORD ServerVersion_enum = 1.

Please let us know if this resolves the issue with your deployment.  We are very interested in your feedback and want you to be successful with your use of Offline Access.

Regards,

Peter Spooner

29 Posts

September 9th, 2009 06:00

Ok, I am going to open a support ticket to help me with SP1. I downloaded it from Powerlink but it is password protected.

Peter - thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated!!

29 Posts

October 9th, 2009 07:00

Peter - just to let you know that the Offline Access from SP1 did the trick.  We opened a call and actually updated our entire SourceOne system to SP1 with no issues.

We do have one other issue with Offline Access however.  Read the following and let me know if a service ticket should be opened...

We use Tumbleweed Secure Desktop for secure email - this adds a plugin to Outlook so the user experience is nice and easy.  After installing the Offline Access we noticed that any reply or forward of a secure (encrypted) message leaves a copy in the OUTBOX.  The message is sent as we can verify with the recipient and that the message is also in the sent items.  We did some troubleshooting and noticed that users who did not have Offline Access installed as of yet did not have this issue.  To further test we uninstalled Offline Access from a few users who did have this problem.  When Offline Access was installed the problem went away.

We have also reversed our install order on some test machines, Offline Access first, then the Tumbleweed plugin...the condition still exists.  For now we have told users about the issue and they just simply delete the messages out of the OUTBOX.  Does EMC use any type of secure messaging product inhouse and have there been any other users indicate they have this condition?

Regards....

October 11th, 2009 17:00

Hi Jamie,

I'm glad to hear the problem was resolved with SP1.

Regarding the Tumbleweed product, we have not tested with that product in-house and this is the first time I have heard about their product.  The steps you've described do seem to indicate a problem with the interaction of the two products.  However it is difficult to determine which product is the cause of the messages being left behind in the Outbox.  Do you know whether the reply or forward of the secure message was a shortcut or a full message?  SourceOne Offline Access examines the message class of a message and if it is not a shortcut, then it does nothing to or with the message.  I looked on the Tumbleweed web site at their Secure Messenger product description and noticed that it inspects the message content and redirects messages or prevents the delivery of the messages.

We have no reported problems with Offline Access leaving messages in the Outbox.  To resolve the issue, we will likely have to contact Tumbleweed to work jointly with their development team on this issue.  I recommend a service ticket be opened with us as well as Tumbleweed if the issue is causing hardships for users.  We will need Offline Access Extension log files to be collected (recommend the Verbose setting) to help us evaluate the situation.

EMC internally does not use Tumbleweed and uses the security and encryption that is built in to Outlook.

Thanks,

Peter

1 Message

January 11th, 2011 10:00

Hi Peter,

I'm looking for an Sourceone offline client, which runs with Outlook XP (2002). By a customer I have an Installation of SourceOne 6.6, but unfortunately the customer has a lot of old PCs with Outlook XP (2002). Can you say me, if there exists an offline access version, that works in this combination?

Thanks

Joachim

January 11th, 2011 11:00

Hi Joachim,

As Gary mentioned, the oldest supported version of Outlook by Offline Access is Outlook 2003.  The reason OA does not work with Outlook XP is that OA is based in UNICODE and Outlook XP does not support UNICODE.  Outlook 2003/2007/2010 all support UNICODE.

For those customers on Outlook XP using SourceOne, they may be able to utilize the UURL support in the shortcut message.  This would allow them to click the links in the shortcut messages to view the attachments which were moved into SourceOne.

Good luck and I hope this helps the customer.

Regards,

Peter

272 Posts

January 11th, 2011 11:00

They oldest supported version is Outlook 2003

11 Posts

March 3rd, 2011 19:00

I've heard about only one tool for this trouble. And this instrument was found at the Inet space absolutely by chance. But besides the tool owns all necessary facilities for working out this trouble - rebuild .pst.

2 Posts

August 25th, 2011 03:00

hi,

even i am facing similar issues. Offline Access is not launching with Outlook 2010. Unlike the mentioned issue The server settings are set to EMC SourceOne  and not EMX EmailXtender.

Below mentioned are the details that you might require:

1. OS : Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise Edition

2. Outlook version: 2010

3. OfflineAccess Version: 6.51.1326

Please reply asap as i need to get this sorted out and push this application by this weekend.

August 25th, 2011 15:00

You need to upgrade your version of Offline Access to 6.6.2 or higher.

Earlier versions of OA do not support Outlook 2010 because Microsoft made a significant architectural change in that release.  Versions 6.6.2 or higher now support Outlook 2003, 2007, and 2010.

Thanks,

Peter Spooner

EMC SourceOne Engineering

2 Posts

August 25th, 2011 22:00

Thanks Peter..

3 Posts

March 1st, 2012 09:00

Hi Peter,

We are trying to install Offline Access silently and remotely. We are working with 6.62.1030 version of OA.

We can install OA successfuly, but the configuration of servers is not seted (server and port) on Outlook > Tools > Options > EMC SourceOne tab.

Reading this article, i suppose that we have a  later version with this problem fixed. I don't have more information about  workaround to try.

Regards

Cristian

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 06:00

Below settings will absolutely work for issue.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Resiliency\DoNotDisableAddinList]

"ExUserCacheAddin.CoExUserCacheAddin"=dword:00000001

"OscAddin.Connect"=dword:00000001

"EMCOAAddIn.CoEMCOAAddIn"=dword:00000001

No Events found!