Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2012 08:00

Restore not working properly on mailboxes in new Exchange databases?

Here is my problem in a nutshell:

I recently created new mailbox databases and moved a few service account users into these. I am unable to restore mail retrieved through searches to any mailbox in these databases. I can see the folders and subfolders in the restore pop-up windows. The restore appears to proceed normally, but nothing actually gets restored. These accounts worked prior to moving them to the new database, so it seems that this is a permissions problem somewhere on the new database, but I cannot figure out where. I did apply full access permissions for the source one admin account.

System: Source One Version: 6.7.1.18, Exchange 2010 Version: 14.02.0247.005

Some History: I decided to separate all of my service accounts into their own databases. When I created these databases, I first moved the mailboxes into them. I then ran the following command to set permissions (as outlined in article esg125083) for the Source1Admin account: 

Get-MailboxDatabase -identity "NEWDB1" | Add-ADPermission -user Source1Admin -AccessRights GenericAll

Get-MailboxDatabase -identity "NEWDB2" | Add-ADPermission -user Source1Admin -AccessRights GenericAll

I also ran these commands just to be sure, but got the warning that the permissions were already there.

Add-ADPermission -identity (get-mailboxserver -identity MB01| select-object).DistinguishedName -user Source1admin -ExtendedRights Receive-As

Add-ADPermission -identity (get-mailboxserver -identity MB01| select-object).DistinguishedName -user Source1Admin -ExtendedRights Send-As

Add-ADPermission -identity (get-mailboxserver -identity MB02| select-object).DistinguishedName -user Source1admin -ExtendedRights Receive-As

Add-ADPermission -identity (get-mailboxserver -identity MB02| select-object).DistinguishedName -user Source1Admin -ExtendedRights Send-As

Current Situtation: I am able to run an admin search as the user in question and when I want to restore, I get the pop-up where I can select mailboxes to put the restored mail.

If I try to restore to a mailbox located in the new databases, I cannot. The restoration appears to run, but the results are “0 of 1 item processed, completed successfully.” On the bottom of the same window it says: “number of items succeeded: 0, number of items failed: 0”. So it thinks it is successful, but nothing happened. I checked the job logs and event logs on SourceOne server and see no errors.

If I try to restore from a user on the new database to a user in an old database, it works. If I restore from a user on the old database to a user on the new database, it fails.  I then checked permissions with this command: Get-mailbox "serviceaccount" |get-mailboxpermission -user "Source1admin" and checked it against a mailbox where restoration worked and everything matched.

What am I missing?? Any help is appreciated.

600 Posts

April 12th, 2012 17:00

Hi Dulce,

Can you please check 2 things:

1. Using EMCSourceOne profile open the users mailbox and then try to copy emails from one folder to another in the users mailbox. If possible use the same folder where you were restoring items.

2. There is an issue which is very rare but I have seen it in past, open the same mailbox on OWA and check if emails that were restored are available in OWA ?

Regards,

Rajan

20 Posts

April 13th, 2012 07:00

Hi, Rajan, I appreciate your fast response.

1. If I log in to a mailbox that cannot restore using the Source1account, I can still easily move mail around in that mailbox.

2. The mail doesn't restore, so it won't show in OWA. I am adding a screenshot of what I am seeing.

the weird thing is that even if I log into the Source1 server itself as Source1Admin, I cannot restore to the Source1Admin mailbox. (The Source1Admin account is not the journalling mailbox of course.) Source1Admin is one of the mailboxes that I put in the new Exchange database. Source1Admin can restore to a mailbox in a different database. Also, I moved one of the mailboxes back where it used to be and restoration works again. So it has to be something with the new Exchange database, but I can't figure it out. Thanks, Dulce Source1Error.jpg

600 Posts

April 13th, 2012 20:00

Greetings,

I would suggest opening support ticket because analysis of the job logs will be needed to find the root cause.

Regards,

Rajan Katwal

Sent from my iPhone

Please ignore typing mistakes.

20 Posts

April 16th, 2012 11:00

Thank you, Rajan. I guess I will have to do that. I had to move my search mailbox to another store that worked before and it is working for now. Once I get through all these searches I have to do by the end of the month, I will get with support.

No Events found!