Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

3 Posts

August 14th, 2019 07:00

Upgrade / Migrate SourceOne to New Windows Server

We have our SourceOne environment on Windows 2008 R2 servers which is coming to its EOL soon.

We are currently on SourceOne version 7.22.2028

Is there a guide (or suggestions) for migrating or updating our current SourceOne servers to servers with a newer Windows OS?

600 Posts

August 15th, 2019 17:00

Greetings, I have come across who have done OS upgrade or introduced new servers to takeover from old servers because SourceOne architecture allows servers to be added when needed. Out of the two, personally I prefer new hosts to replace old hosts. There is not a guide available but install guide for SourceOne that is used for new host install does the job. Your hosts may have some configurations/roles in place that you need to watch out for in addition to file shares for SourceOne. In short you have two options: 1. Engage SourceOne support team by opening service request. Support can check your configuration in place and provide recommendations on what is to be done. 2. Engage DELL EMC Professional Services or certified partner as paid engagement who will sit with you, check the configurations in place, discuss future requirements and then complete the work. Best regards, Rajan Katwal

5 Posts

October 10th, 2019 05:00

Hello,

I have the same question . Could I ask you how did you solve it ?

Regards

Zdenek

25 Posts

December 4th, 2019 12:00

SourceOne 7.2SP6, SP7, and SP8 all support Windows 2016 and works quite well.  And we have a lot of customers that are running in VMWare and some in HyperV, all working very well.  SQL 2016 is also supported as well as up through Exchange 2016.

There is not really a written guide per se, other than reviewing the SourceOne Install and SourceOne Administration guides.  Fundamentally, you want to make sure your SQL databases are backed up, and your archive volumes and containers are backed up.

The easy way to enable this is to make sure your archive, index, message center, and central logs are available on UNC addressable storage, and could be on any NAS or central storage resource and then update the archive volume paths in SQL.  Then the server upgrade just becomes an effective appliance roll out.  You can upgrade in place and then swing over to new servers, or rip the bandaid off and do a cutover of bringing up new servers and then ripping the old ones out of S1 Admin and SQL tables.

You can probably guess, I have been doing this for a long time (in SourceOne and other archives).  I do work for a Dell Partner that is one of the last remaining ones specialized in SourceOne.  We can help you out with doing an upgrade if you want to engage our services.  We are fully authorized to not only do the work, but support SourceOne.  We also do migrations in place or platform to platform.

No Events found!