Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 27th, 2017 04:00

Install on 5510 that came with windows

Hi

My precision 5510 was originally came with windows pre-installed (sadly, the local distributor does not provide Ubuntu laptops). I cannot create a rescue image with linux in the support site, How can I install an official Dell Ubuntu image?

thanks

2 Posts

February 27th, 2017 10:00

I was walking into this thinking its more complex than it is. Dell seems to host this directly off their support site.

www.dell.com/.../UB14A

That should drop you to a place you can put in your serial number and it will provide an image for Ubuntu.

It may not work since yours came pre-installed with Windows, but it shouldn't be too difficult to get an image of Ubuntu directly from http://www.ubuntu.com/ that can be customized to work fine. The Precision 5510 is pre-certified for Ubuntu 14.04, so just some updates and maybe a little tweaking and you should be good to go.

From my experience with my little Inspiron 14 3000 that came with Ubuntu installed there are very few modifications from the stock image. There is some Dell support software, a couple modifications to my mouse pad and that's about it.

2 Posts

February 27th, 2017 21:00

Of course it didn't let me install the original image from Dell.

Pre-certified is not enough since not everything works perfectly out of the box, like the track pad which works quite lousy on Ubuntu (and quite great on windows).

In my country you cannot get this laptop with pre-installed Ubuntu.

No Events found!