Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2015 04:00

Please offer US keyboard layouts outside the US

Hello!

I'm a Debian Developer and recently stumbled across the Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition and was about to buy the laptop today as both the price tag and the specs convinced me to get it as a replacement for my old IBM ThinkPad T60.

However, upon closer inspection of the item's listing, I found that these laptops are sold with domestic keyboard layouts only which for me means, a German keyboard layout.

Dell might not be aware of this, but a large group of developers actually prefer US keyboard layouts - even outside the US - simply because many international keyboard layouts like the German or French one are less comfortable to use when writing code (e.g., the braces are harder to access and so on).

So, if anyone at Dell actually cares about a laptop sold with the "Developer Edition" tag, Dell should also provide this laptop with a US keyboard layout outside the US. Apple has been doing this for years now, so I am a bit puzzled that Dell, who primarily target businesses, can't offer the same.

Pity, would have almost ordered that gorgeous XPS 13 Developer Edition today.

Cheers,

Adrian

4 Posts

June 18th, 2015 15:00

I've ordered a US/International layout since US layout was not available at all. But since I actually prefer the US layout I'm very happy they kinda sent me the wrong keyboard. :P

Just for reference:
* US layout: http://i.imgur.com/HhDxWSV.png

* US/International layout: http://i.imgur.com/FPFNU26.png

So US layout has Shift-key left of 'Z' whereas the US/International has a tilde key. (and some other "minor" differeence).

1 Message

August 7th, 2015 00:00

@cbmuser thanks for all your effort in making Dell aware that potential customers in non-US regions want the XPS 13 Developer Edition with the US Keyboard layout.

It is particularly confusing for people attempting to order the laptop when the US Keyboard layout is one of radio buttons but selecting it results in an unresolvable error message. 

I'm really keen on ordering the new XPS 13 with the US keyboard layout from the UK site. Please make this available.

1 Message

March 23rd, 2016 16:00

Hi!

Same question here, different laptop model. Belgium.

I'm really interested in buying Precision 5510 Ubuntu version.

But all I can chose for keyboard layout is two different AZERTY versions. Not even QWERTY.

What I want is US Intl. keyboard layout. Everything else is not suitable for coding.

Tried to contact someone using "Chat" button. 2 days passed. No reply yet.

Is it actually possible? Why not just add this option to order form?

Thanks.

1 Message

August 5th, 2016 04:00

I just had a chat with the italian sell department and they said "in Italy is not possible to have an US keyboard" , we are in Italy so Italian keyboard.  I guess who, at the top level, that provided the guidelines for selling in Italy is an not competent.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

August 8th, 2016 09:00

Danilio,

Let me check on this and get back to you.

thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

August 9th, 2016 08:00

Hi @Danilio,

I checked with our European team and you should be able to get a US keyboard in Italy

Italian market goes with local layout by default and usually, consumer XPS are stocked with minimal customization options – though, not the case of XPS 13 Dev, which is shipped directly from ODM.

The good thing is that both consumers and small to medium businesses are able to configure it online as well and with US/I KB.

Thanks,

Barton

70 Posts

December 31st, 2016 19:00

I wish UK and Ireland had the option for US keyboard as well. I am interested in Dell Inspiron 5000 2-in-1, but it only comes in UK layout. I absolutely hate the UK layout and would much prefer to order one with the US layout.

I can't understand why does DELL not offer the US keyboard as an alternative in all areas.

350 Posts

January 4th, 2017 06:00

I wish UK and Ireland had the option for US keyboard as well. I am interested in Dell Inspiron 5000 2-in-1, but it only comes in UK layout. I absolutely hate the UK layout and would much prefer to order one with the US layout.

I can't understand why does DELL not offer the US keyboard as an alternative in all areas.

We sell three different ways in order of increased level of customization: Build to Ship (BTS), Build to Order (BTO), and Configure to Order (CTO).

Inspiron is typically BTS. It's like buying a system in a store, where you're not able to configure what's in the box. BTO on the other hand is more configurable. CTO is what you typically see for, say, servers or workstations.

I asked and got the following answer: "Where we are selling BTO - we do offer the Customer an option to change the KB to US International.

Please see below link for Inspiron 5578 where Customer can change if they so wish.

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-5578-2-in-1-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC

Where we are selling BTS as we are on the 5378 - the units are fully built and in the hub so we cannot offer an alternative. We always select the most commonly used KB layout for the market which in this case is UK. "

70 Posts

January 15th, 2017 20:00

DELL-Jared D.

I appreciate you giving me an actual, thorough answer. Thank you!

It would've been nice if 5378 had been a BTO, but it is what it is. Hopefully more systems will be offered as BTO in the future (I guess it'll take more process optimizations to lower cost and make this financially viable for less expensive systems).

Thanks!

No Events found!