Highlighted
wakalixes
Bronze

XPS 13 9360 - Swap Fn and Ctrl keys?

Hi Forum,

New XPS 13 owner here a little frustrated by the keyboard.

I can't find any way in the BIOS to swap Fn and Ctrl keys.  I can't seem to do it in Linux either, because the Fn key appears to be invisible to the OS.  For example, if I run xev and press the Fn key, nothing happens.

The reason I want to do this is that I keep hitting Fn-C instead of Ctrl-C.  The left Ctrl and C keys are further apart on the XPS 13 keyboard than they are on a desktop keyboard!

Do any of you guys have any suggestions?  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wakalixes
Bronze

RE: XPS 13 9360 - Swap Fn and Ctrl keys?

I have convinced myself that remapping Fn to Ctrl and left Ctrl to Fn is impossible unless Dell releases a BIOS update that allows for it.

I cannot be the only person to want this.

Dell, is it possible that a Fn/Ctrl key swap feature could be added to the BIOS?

0 Kudos
Erin Green
Copper

RE: XPS 13 9360 - Swap Fn and Ctrl keys?

You are not the only one that wants this!

I hate that I have to use both my hands to use my Home/PgUp/PgDown/End keys. Such a nuisance. There's got to be a registry hack that someone knows...

0 Kudos

Re: XPS 13 9360 - Swap Fn and Ctrl keys?

Press Fn + Esc. This toggles the Fn-Lock. See also https://askubuntu.com/questions/88063/how-to-invert-fn-keys-on-dell-laptop.

0 Kudos
KeithAC
Copper

Re: XPS 13 9360 - Swap Fn and Ctrl keys?

ichbindannmalwegmann wrote:

Press Fn + Esc. This toggles the Fn-Lock. See also https://askubuntu.com/questions/88063/how-to-invert-fn-keys-on-dell-laptop.

This has nothing to do with the question, which is about putting the Ctrl and Fn keys where they should be, not where Dell has placed them. It's particularly annoying if you want to do a Ctrl-Shift combination, which on sensible keyboards is a middle and ring finger combination, where they line up sensibly. On the Dell laptop, it is really awkward with the keys being above each other. If the Dell were the only keyboard I had ever used, I would probably get used to it, but it isn't and it is hard to unlearn several decades of use, and remember to swap between this aberrant behaviour and normal whenever I use a different PC, which I do for work.

0 Kudos