Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2017 19:00

XPS 13 9360 - Swap Fn and Ctrl keys?

Hi Forum,

New XPS 13 owner here a little frustrated by the keyboard.

I can't find any way in the BIOS to swap Fn and Ctrl keys.  I can't seem to do it in Linux either, because the Fn key appears to be invisible to the OS.  For example, if I run xev and press the Fn key, nothing happens.

The reason I want to do this is that I keep hitting Fn-C instead of Ctrl-C.  The left Ctrl and C keys are further apart on the XPS 13 keyboard than they are on a desktop keyboard!

Do any of you guys have any suggestions?  

5 Posts

July 11th, 2017 22:00

I have convinced myself that remapping Fn to Ctrl and left Ctrl to Fn is impossible unless Dell releases a BIOS update that allows for it.

I cannot be the only person to want this.

Dell, is it possible that a Fn/Ctrl key swap feature could be added to the BIOS?

2 Posts

August 17th, 2017 10:00

You are not the only one that wants this!

I hate that I have to use both my hands to use my Home/PgUp/PgDown/End keys. Such a nuisance. There's got to be a registry hack that someone knows...

February 13th, 2018 13:00

Press Fn + Esc. This toggles the Fn-Lock. See also https://askubuntu.com/questions/88063/how-to-invert-fn-keys-on-dell-laptop.

3 Posts

February 14th, 2018 01:00

@ichbindannmalwegmann wrote:

Press Fn + Esc. This toggles the Fn-Lock. See also https://askubuntu.com/questions/88063/how-to-invert-fn-keys-on-dell-laptop.

This has nothing to do with the question, which is about putting the Ctrl and Fn keys where they should be, not where Dell has placed them. It's particularly annoying if you want to do a Ctrl-Shift combination, which on sensible keyboards is a middle and ring finger combination, where they line up sensibly. On the Dell laptop, it is really awkward with the keys being above each other. If the Dell were the only keyboard I had ever used, I would probably get used to it, but it isn't and it is hard to unlearn several decades of use, and remember to swap between this aberrant behaviour and normal whenever I use a different PC, which I do for work.

2 Posts

April 8th, 2018 09:00

You are not alone, I also want this! 

7 Posts

June 3rd, 2018 13:00

I would also very much like an option for this in the bios, albeit in my case for the 9370.

1 Message

July 18th, 2018 19:00

Yes, I want this very much! That's why I buy Thinkpad X1 instead of Dell XPS too.

I think Ctrl is very frequently pressed, but Fn is not, so, clearly Ctrl should be easily pressed by little finger.

I registered this account just for this.

1 Message

August 8th, 2018 11:00

Same story on the XPS 15. Why on earth are there no dedicated keys for Home/End/PgUp/PgDn? It is such a pain to not have them. They are probably the most used keys after arrows, enter and space. Btw Enter is so narrow too... And still there is plenty of space left all around the keyboard, so why? Why?

Anyway, I would very *very* much like to be able to use the right ctrl key (the one next to the arrows) as Fn key so that I can type Home/End/PgUp/PgDn single-handedly and somewhat go around this serious omission.

1 Message

September 24th, 2018 10:00

I'm also not happy. On most keyboards, and on an external with the XPS, Ctrl+Home goes to the top (beginning) of a document. Likewise, everywhere except with the XPS keyboard, the Page Up and Page Down keys work without another key being pressed. Without the Fcn key, they move three lines at a time. 

2 Posts

August 8th, 2019 08:00

I want this feature. Dell please add setting swap fn and ctrl key

1 Message

September 25th, 2019 15:00

+1 for this, please listen Dell. Clearly some people are choosing other products over the XPS just because of this. Please provide a solution! 

1 Message

October 21st, 2019 03:00

Same issue here, I wish Dell will add this option in Bios. Really miss my thinkpad just because of that...

1 Message

March 13th, 2020 17:00

asking for the same function: switch from other keyboards to this keyboard is difficult if you don't allow switch ctrl / fn

1 Message

June 16th, 2021 23:00

This is really a feature I would love. The placement of the fn and ctrl keys is the only thing preventing me from making Dell my daily driver.

In fact, I purchased a Dell XPS 15, but I had to return it because the placement fn and ctrl keys were driving me low-key insane. I would love to have this issue enqueued in whatever project management tool the BIOS/UEFI engineers at Dell use, and unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be generating any traction.

1 Message

January 20th, 2022 10:00

It's 2022 Dell. Open-source your janky BIOS garbageware already so we can do it for you.

No Events found!