Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2016 14:00

XPS 13 (9360) Trackpad issues...

Hi dev's,

I received my dell xps 13 (9360) this week and I'm overall really happy with it. This gotta be probably one of the best notebooks I've ever had, hands down!

However one thing that is bothering me immensely is that the track/touchpad is pretty unusable.

It's seems that the mouse cursor is frozen, no matter in which direction i'm going.... the only thing that is then working is navigating through the touch screen or using a mouse (bluetooth or wired).

Does this happen to anyone else as well?

I've also noticed that I can re-produce this error. Whenever I need to enter something in a textbox (browser searchbar, etc...) and then try to navigate away on the touchpad it's frozen!

I'm happy to provide any logs that you might regard as helpful!

Thank you once again for creating such a kick-*** laptop. Kudos to everyone at Dell! Thanks!

cheers,
theresa

November 19th, 2016 15:00

I posted about a trackpad issue just a few minutes before you.

Mine will sort of freeze, but also seems to think I'm doing gestures and will start switching applications or scrolling a window instead of moving the cursor.

Haven't found the cause of it yet... only had my system about an hour now.

35 Posts

November 29th, 2016 07:00

I didn't experience exactly your symptoms (or maybe I did, but I was so angry I don't remember), but my touchpad was mostly unusable until I blacklisted the psmouse driver.

See my posts in http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19996875 for more info...

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

January 18th, 2017 15:00

@Community,

One of my colleagues worked on this and supplied the following document:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN304721

January 26th, 2017 10:00

I have had psmouse blacklisted since I did my own install on my 9360. Blacklisting it was advised back on the 9350 and was on the Arch wiki for the laptop for a while.

Unfortunately, my erratic behavior with it has persisted. Someone had mentioned some 3 finger trackpad taps take care of it, but not quite for me. I have found if I put the laptop to sleep and then wake it back up, it clears it up for a while. However I generally just find the 9350 a far more usable machine.

My 9360 is past the return period, unfortunately. I may send it in for service, but wouldn't expect much, or will add it to my pile of forgotten hardware.

161 Posts

January 27th, 2017 08:00

That sounds extremely frustrating. I really hope you don't have to add it to the pile of forgotten hardware (at least every few months see if a kernel update fixes something?). Is using a USB mouse that much of a pain? If you do that, can you turn the trackpad completely off so it doesn't cause any of the trouble you mentioned? Don't lose hope! Something has to work! Best of luck and best wishes.

3 Posts

March 28th, 2017 20:00

I've been extremely frustrated with the trackpad ever since I got my 9360. First thing I tried was to blacklist psmouse, but the trackpad still intermittently stopped working. I really should've returned it at this point, but I thought I'd stick it out and would find someway to make it work if I scoured the internet enough. I eventually created a workaround script that makes the machine actually usable, but unfortunately, it still isn't quite reliable enough to bring to work or anything...just more for tinkering until I get frustrated!

I put these commands into a little shell script that I run every time it stops working and it seems to reset the trackpad. Unfortunately it doesn't always persist very long and I end up having to run it several times.

First you need to run: xinput --list | grep Touchpad

and use the output from this of the name of the device as the string in the script below.

#!/bin/bash

xinput disable 'DLL075B:01 06CB:76AF Touchpad'

xinput enable DLL075B:01 06CB:76AF Touchpad'

sudo modprobe -r i2c_hid

sudo modprobe i2c_hid

Hope this helps, until someone else finds a more permanent solution. I'm still under the assumption that this is not actually a hardware issue, but I haven't necessarily proven that assumption.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

May 5th, 2017 15:00

@Tjotx,

Do you still need assistance? If so, send me a friend request and we'll start a support case together.

3 Posts

May 15th, 2017 10:00

I am also suffering this problem on my machine - had it since last thursday and mouse freezes after about half an hour....am running the installed ubuntu16.04

sometimes. can't get a support request as the diagnostics dell want me to use is an exe file..

2 Posts

July 11th, 2017 19:00

You're not alone in this. I just bought a 9360 as well and have been VERY frustrated with this touchpad. For the amount of money that was spent on this, I'd expect MBP or similar usability on the touchpad front. Blacklisting psmouse hasn't helped terribly well; however, your shell script above (thanks for that by the way!) helps once it does its "lock up" thing. At this point, the things about to go back to Dell as it's merely a "sexy laptop" that's *** frustrating to get actual work done on. =/

1 Message

July 25th, 2017 07:00

Amen. I really, really want to love this laptop but the trackpad ... *sigh*

1 Message

July 29th, 2017 00:00

***... These TouchPad issues started from day 1 when I first took it out of the box. Spent a couple hours on the phone with Dell last night to no avail; they said they are going to let me know on a day or two if they decide the touch pad needs to be replaced, but I think I might be better off just bringing it back to Costco. Really fortunate to have a good return policy and I've only had it less than a month, but I spent weeks researching laptop specs before I decided to buy this, such a fail....

1 Message

November 21st, 2017 01:00

@DELL-Justin C

Could you assist me with the same problem? My 9360 (with Win10) touchpad freeze from time to time. I just got my XPS a few weeks ago and since then it's impossible to use trackpad.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

November 21st, 2017 09:00

@V.E.Loft,

Sure. Send me a friend request with your service tag. I'll see what I can do.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

November 21st, 2017 15:00

@Community,

Technical support has produced a brand new document with steps you can take to help improve the touch pad when running Ubuntu.

It's here: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln308258/precision---xps--ubuntu-general-mouse-issue-fix?lang=en

If the steps in the document do not help please contact Dell technical support and mention Document ID SLN308258.

14 Posts

December 8th, 2017 08:00

Hello Community,

I tried following the link but I am receiving very different output from what the post shows

The problem I am having is that the touch pad frequently does not detect taps, when in linux but it works fine in Windows 10. Occasionally it will even stop in the middle of two finger scrolling.

The below output was from POP!_OS 18.04, but the same thing happened in Ubuntu 17.10

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ DLL082A:01 06CB:76AF Touchpad id=11 [slave pointer (2)]

No Events found!