Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 31st, 2012 16:00

2 Dell computers, 2 Failed hard drives in 1 week-- this time 0f00:1344

I’m starting to feel like ‘a regular’ around here.

I posted a few days ago for the first time on this forum regarding 0142 and 0146 error codes on my Studio XPS 8100 desktop. I resolved that problem with a new WD hard drive, and the 8100 is currently running just fine. It’s actually running much better than before the crash since I was able to eliminate a lot of unnecessary software and junk during the system re-install.

My wife’s XPS M1330 notebook running Windows Vista Home Premium on the other hand is not doing so well. It’s been down for several weeks now, and since she’s in the process of migrating over to an iPad, fixing it has not been a priority.

The Studio XPS 8100 fix got me in the mood, so I ran the Pre-boot System Assessment on her computer and everything checked out okay. After researching threads here, I then ran a Custom HDD test and that’s when I started receiving the 0F00:1344 errors.

The first one came early (1-2% in to the test), and it looked like this:

“Error Code 0F00:1344”

“Msg:  DISK – Block 69587291: Can’t read, replace disk”

I noted this code and continued on with the test. At 8% in (approximately 30-40 minutes later), I started receiving the same error code every 10-15 seconds with different “Blocked” addresses. I stopped counting after 20 errors and discontinued the test.

Any insight in to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

• 

3.3K Posts

January 1st, 2013 06:00

Hi xxcpmanxx,

The error code indicates that the HDD is faulty. You may consider replacing it.  Let me know if you need help with regards to it.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 1st, 2013 06:00

You should consider the Crucial 128 GB v4 hard drive:

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Dell-memory/XPS/XPS+M1330-upgrades.html

It will offer the best performance on this model. The model is SATA 2 and will run at 3 GB/s.

The v4 can run at 6 GB/s but on this model it will only run at 3 GB/s so the m4 is a waste of money. The situation is the same with the XPS 8100, this drive should speed it up if WIndows is installed on it.

See my wiki Windows Reinstallation Guide:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19480753.aspx

Perform a Clean Install of Windows Vista.

19 Posts

January 1st, 2013 19:00

Thank you, Philip; a SSD would be nice. But for now, I went ahead and completed the clean Windows Vista install, including all updates, and the computer seems to be running very good. We're not going to store any important data, and will probably just use this laptop as an internet browser until the hard drive acts up again, if it does.

I'll post back if that happens.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2013 11:00

Hi xxcpmanxx,

Wow, sorry to hear about the hard drives. I've had a several drive failures over the years but never two back to back like that.

No Events found!