grizzlebahr
1 Copper

Re: 2nd hard drive installed in inspiron 531. sata ports not enabled

Jump to solution

Worked perfectly. Thank you soooooo much!

0 Kudos
schaechter
1 Copper

Jump to solution

SUPERB!  You know the machine and gave a perfect answer.  We need more folks who are so helpful.

0 Kudos
Rick999
1 Copper

RE: 2nd hard drive installed in inspiron 531. sata ports not enabled

Jump to solution

The answer to go into the bios on the 531 and change the Sata ports to 1 and 2 was exactly the right answer.  Worked like a charm.  This is something I never would have found anywhere else and didn't seem to be in the owners manual.   I am currently involved in a "project" to upgrade a 531 as much as possible with a new larger HDD and DVD writer and installing the max memory to 4gb along with a upgraded Athlon 64 x2 5600 at 65w.   Hopefully this won't mean I need a bigger power supply too.   If I have a problem, I will look to this community for solutions.

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Jump to solution

Hi Rick999,

Glad this old thread was helpful. The upgrades you are planning should not require a bigger power supply.

Good luck with your project!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
brunob99
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Now I have another problem... the 2TB hard drive does not format past 54%... it just stops!

0 Kudos
Rick999
1 Copper

Jump to solution

If you are using Vista operating system, check to see if it permits more than 1TB hard drive

0 Kudos
brunob99
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'm reading that 2TB should not be a problem... I did found another thread that referred to the following link about updating the NVIDIA driver.:

knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/211211en

I'm not sure what model of NVIDIA I have in my DELL so I can update the driver...

0 Kudos
Mailman33_
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Here I am reading this in February 2018, because I have had the same problem when trying to install a 2nd HD in my Dell 531.  Kudos for the solution that was given by dhwcaw Copper.

My headache is GONE!

0 Kudos