Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2014 15:00

32GB samsung ssd problem , Vostro 3650

hi, i bought the vostro 3650 with the 750gb hdd and 32gb ssd (i7Q, 6gb ram etc..) from the first day up until now the ssd was never recognized it always showed an unallocated space of 1gb ssd (samsung) and i couldn't change that , tried to search for fixes and updated to the lates firmware (v16 of 12.13.2013) yet with no luck yesterday it showed a sign of life, showed the SSD and its full 30GB of size so i went to DISK MANAGEMENT

and allocated, initialized the ssd and all was well : 

BUT, after i restarted the laptop it took me to the rapid start black screen and stated that it cant recognize the ssd now, so after the restart it went back to this :

due to this problem i can't install a LOT of drivers even from my service tag from your site because it always state " your computer does not meet the minimum requirements...." now i bought a top tier laptop (not the best graphics card i admit) , i do not understand why i cant use it as such , as of now this is the first time i bought a DELL, and to be honest its looking like it'll be the last , my last packard-bell with an i3 never gave me any support issues and could handle all rapid start and other intel's bells and whistles , i dont understand why would this vostro be inferior ...    

please DELL, how can i fix this ? im an architecture student and paid way too much for this laptop and i expect it to perform accordingly ! 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 16th, 2014 16:00

Hi Mister Bash,

Ok, let's take it one step at a time. Let me direct you to this long thread on the topic of setting up the 32GB cache.

First, is the controller mode set to RAID in the BIOS? I don't want you to change it, just tell me what the setting is.

January 16th, 2014 22:00

ok

yes it is set to RAID 

January 17th, 2014 04:00

ok will do...

thanks for the replay

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 17th, 2014 04:00

Ok, good. This thread includes detailed instructions on how to initialize the SSD and set up acceleration. Follow that step by step and let me know if it's helpful.

January 17th, 2014 06:00

seems like you didn't understand my problem properly,

see in the link you gave me , the guy shows how to format the ssd and so on , assuming the ssd is being recognized properly ...

in my case look at the first post and see what the ssd is being recognized  as .... 1gb and not 30gb !! and so when i go to disk management it still shows me unallocated ....... so the link you provided does not help unfortunately ...
do you work for dell ?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 17th, 2014 15:00

Boot to the diagnostics and see if you are able to test the SSD.

No, I don't work for Dell.

January 18th, 2014 01:00

just ran it and the results are all green except for the disk 1 which got "NA" , disk 0 got a green check also

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 18th, 2014 04:00

You'll need to run an external test. Do you have a bootable flash drive? I would drop an SSD diagnostic utility onto it and run that.

Honestly, I've never tested my SSD so I'm not sure what to use.

January 18th, 2014 05:00

nope i don't have anything bootable and external at the same time .... and im not that much of a tech guru to know how to do that ...

it just "feels" like my SSD is either faulty or isn't plugged into its slot firmly , i never opened the laptop and never messed with its internals its exactly as it came from the factory , and its also new and not refurbished ... 

January 18th, 2014 08:00

i do have an expanded 3 year warranty so i hope so too , otherwise i will most certainly sue them... its just outrageous i emailed them my problem and sent them a message on their facebook page detailing it as well (6 months ago or so) and i got no answer whatsoever ...

thank you sir for trying to help ! i appreciate it !!  

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 18th, 2014 08:00

Ok, I hear you. I'm thinking the same thing. There's a problem with that mSATA SSD, either not installed properly or just defective. So I'm going to suggest you call Dell tech support. I'm hoping they'll send someone out who can either set it up properly or replace it if it's defective.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 18th, 2014 12:00

Glad to help. Good luck!

No Events found!