Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 3rd, 2009 09:00

8600 CD/DVD will read but not write

Hello all,

I've recently upgraded from a CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive to a DVD+-RW drive on my Inspiron 8600.  I can read CD-ROMs and play DVDs, but the drive is not recognized as a burning drive.  My recording software (Sonic RecordNow!) states "No recorder" after checking for available drives, and the drive is not even available when trying to create a data disk from my own files.  I've checked for updates for the drive (none) and the troubleshooting function informs me the device is working properly...any thoughts? 

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

December 3rd, 2009 10:00

You need to post the exact model of the drive and what dvd writing software version and operating system. Your version of Sonic software might be an older one and not for burning dvd's.

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 10:00

Oops, sorry...meant to add the model #s.  The new drive is a Dell DVD+-RW drive module, part number 7W036-A01.  My operating system is Windows XP Home, and the recording software is Sonic RecordNow! version 7.1.  This version of RecordNow came with the computer in 2004 with its original cd drive, but I hadn't even thought of compatibilty...

No Events found!