Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 26th, 2005 19:00

9100 hard drive

I have a dimension 9100 with a seagate 160gb hard drive. My hard drive makes noise and i have read about people with the same noisy hard drive. My question is, is there any problems with this hard drive or is it just noisy.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 26th, 2005 20:00

gamer45.

Try using Dell diagnostics to check the hard drive for any signs of failure, boot the system, press F12 to run the Dell diagnostics.
If the hard drive passes the test, then don't worry about, you just have a noisy hard drive.

The same subject was also disussed here.

Bev.

Message Edited by shesagordie on 08-26-2005 04:13 PM

4.4K Posts

August 26th, 2005 22:00

My VERY noisy Seagate Barracuda 80 gig checked out fine with diagnostics.  Dell replaced it with an identical unit that was much quieter. 

9 Posts

August 31st, 2005 19:00

I also had a noise issue with the Seagate 160gb drive and diagnostics were ok.  Dell tried to give me the "if it runs fine and has no diagnostics issue than it is ok racket", of course having a brother as an engineer at Seagate helps, he specifically said that this particular Seagate hard drive is supposed to be one of the quietest drives on the market today. 

I mentioned that to Dell tech support and persisted with the issue and they finally relented and I had a service call today to install the new drive, which by the way is much, much quieter.  (It was missing the ethernet driver, but that is another issue).

The tech who came today when he first heard the original hard drive run said that there definitely was an issue with the drive. 

So if the computer  is still under warranty and the hard drive is exceedingly noisy, then I would be persistent with Dell.  Especially if you are within the 21 dat return window.  Just say you are going to return the whole computer and they will do everything they can to not have you do that.

10 Posts

March 24th, 2007 18:00

imo seagates are more nosiy then wd

when i first got my 9100 it had a seagate which was click click click and drove me nuts

i rang dell and they sent me a wd which is whipser quite

i know that segaates are noisy despite there claim that they are not becuase my laptop has a seagate and that click click clicks as well

ring up and say that yop want a wd drive
No Events found!