Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2016 05:00

Ađding a SSD drive to Dell Studio XPS 8100

hi,

I would like to ađd a SSD to a Dell Studio XPS 8100.

I have a couple of questions after having read the info in this thread:
en.community.dell.com/.../19447024

Do I really need to change the 2 original hard drives from their current SAT connections? I'm a bit worried about messing with the raid 0 stuff, to be honest and would feel better not having anything to change there:-)

For the time being, and until I get an extra SATA cable, I have disconnected the optical drive and connected the SSD to it SATA cable. The disk is recognized and displayed on the first splash screen during the boot, it appears properly in the devices manager but I don't see it in the list of drives in the file manager... Do I miss something obvious?

Last question : I am running Windows 10 and I was wondering what the best way would be for me to move the system to the SSD? Should I go through the "re-install" menu of Windows 10 and ask to get the re-install on the SSD drive? Should I do it in a different way?

Thanks,

• 

16.7K Posts

January 4th, 2017 05:00

thefathefa

Unfortunately, the Studio XPS 8100 is not tested for Windows 10 upgrade

Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected. 

That does not mean it will not work with Windows 10. It is that there are no Windows 10 drivers available from Dell. This may cause you issues with configuring hardware.

No Events found!