Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 25th, 2009 01:00

AFTER DOWNLOADING ITUNES 8.1, CD drive NO LONGER recognizes nor plays music cds

If you know of any fix, please help me. 

Following the download of itunes 8.1, my CD drive no longer recognizes nor plays music CD's.  After contacting Itunes, I followed their instructions and  installed Microsoft Service Pack 3, Reinstalled itunes, all to no avail. 

Has anyone had or resolved this problem?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 25th, 2009 05:00

Hi, Brilamar:

iTunes is well known to cause the famous upper and lower filters problem. Please go to the CD/DVD FAQ and follow the instructions for a "code 39 error".

Once that is fixed, I suggest you use an older version of iTunes, since 8.1 has been especially troublesome.

3 Posts

May 26th, 2009 22:00

Thanks Osprey,

I did go to the CD/DVD FAQ and followed the instructions for a "code 39 error".

I have not re installed itunes yet.  Where can I find the version prior to "Genius"  Genius has made my computer life miserable so I don't want to reinstall it. 

How do I download VLC?  I think I accidentally removed it.

Thanks again 

1 Message

May 27th, 2009 06:00

I have the same problem.  The first time this happened I was on the phone with someone in India for over 1 1/2 hours and he finally got it working.  Then I upgraded my protection program, and it was lost again.  So I took it to a computer shop and they restored it.  I'm guessing he installed any needed updates, too.  Tonight I was using itunes and it prompted me to update to 8.1, and the computer froze and now the cd drive isn't recognized yet again.  I am not that computer savvy, and haven't found the error 39 instructions mentioned in the follow-up response.  Where exactly is that, and also, as asked, how do I then download an itunes program that won't do this?  Is it an itune problem or a dell problem?  My computer is still under warranty and I've been tempted to send it back...   Please help.

Thanks

3 Posts

May 27th, 2009 17:00

Only 1 1/2 hours?  Lucky you.  I spent 7 hours of my Memorial Day Holiday on the phone with DellIndia - to no avail, problem remained. Even though the Tech could not fix the problem, he made the obligatory sales pitch to sell me a year's contract for Tech support. #$%^&*()_+  What good would it do if you cannot fix the problem, I inquired - then he tried to sell me another Dell Computer - No way!

The next day, I called AppleIndia, they had me uninstall itunes for the 4th time, now they want me to make a 4 hour round trip to their Apple store to get a CD for downloading itunes and then download itunes from a CD, rather than online  Can you mail it I asked - No way, they replied!  So tomorrow, I am off to their store.  I'll let you know if it works - of course, they guaranteed it would!     Hopefully, I won't get the sales pitch.

Today, I contacted Microsoft because one of the Apple people said, it really is a Microsoft problem.  I have not heard back from Microsoft but it is listed on their website at the top of the problem stack.  I clicked on their Mr FIXIT who said he couldn't fix it.

So here I am, feeling "dumb" for downloading itunes 8.1 with "Genius". 

If anyone can help me resolve this problem,  I'd be forever thankful :emotion-2:

1.3K Posts

May 27th, 2009 18:00

I have the same problem.  The first time this happened I was on the phone with someone in India for over 1 1/2 hours and he finally got it working.  Then I upgraded my protection program, and it was lost again.  So I took it to a computer shop and they restored it.  I'm guessing he installed any needed updates, too.  Tonight I was using itunes and it prompted me to update to 8.1, and the computer froze and now the cd drive isn't recognized yet again.  I am not that computer savvy, and haven't found the error 39 instructions mentioned in the follow-up response.  Where exactly is that, and also, as asked, how do I then download an itunes program that won't do this?  Is it an itune problem or a dell problem?  My computer is still under warranty and I've been tempted to send it back...   Please help.

Thanks

I used a program CCleaner to uninstall Itunes 8.1, http://www.ccleaner.com/download.  I would then close down.windows before installing the new iTunes version. This is an earlier version of Itunes. http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php

No Events found!