Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2009 10:00

Acronis true image Hard Drive clone Boots 2 times...

I have a Dell 8250 with XP and try to change the internal PATA IBM disk to a new WesternDigital 500GB.

I use Acronis true image from WesternDigital to clone my old disk to the new.

Everything went smoothly and I retrieved the IBM and placed the WD as master.

First boot, everything was perfect, second boot OK en then third Boot, XP did not boot and I had a Black screen with underscore in the upper left corner.

I have done this 3 times with different settings in True Image (auto, manual proportional, manual with adjustment to keep the first partition the same size before and after cloning...) with the same result!

FixBoot or FixMBR have no effect, The 2 Boot.ini files seems to be the same, every hardware test from Dell utilities went OK.

I will again clone my disk and try to see what is changed between boot 2 and boot 3, but can somebody tell me what to look for? (boot.ini, ....??).

When I checked the new HD (as slave) after it failed, the partition was not marked as 'System'. How do I mark a partition as 'System'?

This is really strange, to boot 2 times OK and then BLAM! Nowhere have I found any mention of this behaviour.

Any idea welcome!!!!

Thanks a lot.

Taby

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 12:00

Well, I finally do it again with True Image but leaves the partitions 'as is' and this time I can boot all the time.

At the first boot, I get a Acronis message, thus I think that the first boot is under the Acronis software control.

At the second boot (and subsequents), no messages.

I 'just' have to find a soft to expand my C: partition to the full hd size, but that is another story...

Taby

3 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 00:00

Well, its done! I downloaded EASEUS Partition Master 4.1.1 Home Edition and it is a pleasure to use!

I have extended the old 111GB C: partition to the full disk (with this small hidden partition from Dell remaining at the beginning of the disk) and now I have what I need; a working big HD with a clone of my old one.

Taby

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 3rd, 2009 11:00

If the original drive is 120G or smaller, be sure you enable large drive support under Windows BEFORE making the image.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013

No Events found!