Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2013 08:00

Add SSD to T7500

I have added a second SSD drive to the T7500 SAS 6/ir controller. It shows up in the SAS menu but is not visible in WIndows. How can that be solved?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 9th, 2013 17:00

Hi dhandzic,

What do you see in disk management?

3 Posts

July 10th, 2013 15:00

Under disk management in Windows the new drive is invisible. Under device manager the drive comes up under unknown devices rather than disk drives. The SAS 6/ir RAID manager shows the drive as well as the older SSD. I am however not using any RAID function just JBOD. Regards Dirk

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 11th, 2013 17:00

So the RAID manager shows the disks are not in a RAID?

3 Posts

July 12th, 2013 00:00

Yes, the disks are attached to the SAS 6/ir controller which can handle JBOD, RAID0, RAID1. Initially the computer had only one 256 GB SSD thus no RAID. Now I want to attach another 256GB SSD since the first disk is filling up and still I dont want the disks to be in a RAID.

548 Posts

July 13th, 2013 04:00

DAHNDZIC, when you use a RAID controller, the physical disks are abstracted from the OS which wont see the physical disks in the same way you normally see ATA connected HDD.

If you want JBOD array and the card support this feature, then you physically connect the HDD to the controller at which point you must add the HDD to JBOD array using the controller boot menu (ctrl+r or +i or +c depending on the card)  or you can use the windows raid card application to do the same. As such windows disk management will never sees the physical HDD, it just sees an increase in the available space on the abstracted disk (your bunch of disk). You must then extend this volume to make the extra space available to your OS using disk management :)

It's a little convoluted but if you play with JBOD or RAID you need to stop thinking about physical disks in the same way you have done to date. For SAS6/i controller capabilities and procedures, i defer to others :)

No Events found!