Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2009 23:00

Add a new HDD to the boot sequence

I have a Dell Dimension E510, BIOS version A07, and I recently got a new 500gb SATA HDD. I decided to create an image of my original HDD onto the new one so that I would have a back-up to boot off of, but the new HDD is not in the boot sequence. I've looked at the boot sequence in the BIOS, and although I can modify the order and remove items from the boot sequence, I do not see the option to add my new HDD. So how do I add my new HDD to the boot sequence? BTW, I suspect the reason why the HDD may not be added to the boot sequence is because I simply made an image of my previous HDD instead of installing Windows XP the normal way.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 5th, 2009 12:00

Hi, gckid:

You cannot have two hard disk drives in the boot sequence. Remove the old system drive, install the new system drive in the SATA 0 position and it should boot.

If I am not understanding your question, let me know. I've been known to do that. :emotion-1:

2 Posts

April 5th, 2009 20:00

Really? I'm suprised they would do that, it seems a little bit dumb to not allow a second drive to boot off of, but whatever. And you did not misunderstand my question, thank you for the clarification.

11 Posts

March 9th, 2010 10:00

Osprey,

Hope you'll get an alert about this reply to an old thread.

I've added a 1T external hard drive via an eSata PCI Express 2.O card to my XPS-200. It works fine. Have created a bootable copy of the internal hard drive using Iomega's 'Never Down' software. Iomega suggests testing the external drive's bootability by changing the order of the external and internal hard drives in the BIOS. This is also necessary to restore a repaired (or copy back to a new) internal hard drive. This suggests that it's routine for a BIOS to list both hard drives. Their Support folks says they can't help and to ask Dell about the BIOS.

In your suggestion to gckid, you said to "Remove the old system drive, install the new system drive in the SATA 0 position and it should boot." Did you mean to physically replace the old drive with the new or did yo mean to somehow rename the drives. If the latter, how wold I do that?

Thanks

Rick

No Events found!