Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2005 01:00

Adding a second SATA drive

The hard drive that came with my Dimension 4600 is a Seagate SATA 160Gb.  I want to add a second drive, Western Digital SATA 160 Gb.  Couple of questions :

1) Both types of drives use different power connector : Seagate has 5 pins, WD has 4 pins.  Why is that?  I thought the interface was standard among manufacturers.  The computer has spare connectors of each type, and I guess I can use the 4-pin should I buy Western Digital.  Am I right?

2) The Seagate has the 7 pins signal connector.  WD (WD1600JD, SATA drive) has the long parallel connector as well.  How come?

3) Should I physically alter the position of my existing Seagate drive in the computer and move it to the empty bay and install the second drive in its place?  I read somewhere that I may have to do it.

4) Generally speaking, drive as procured comes formatted and I should not worry about it.  The WD drive does not come in a kit, i.e. there no CD with utilities (I can buy the kit, but the drive becomes more expensive).  Will XP recognizes it and takes care of the installation?

5) I want to add at the same time a DVD writer.  Can I do both installations simultaneously or I should do it one at a time to allow Windows to detect them properly?

Thanks for your feedback to the above questions.

gtop,

Dimension 4600
Pentium 4, 2.8Ghz, HT, 800FSB
512 Mb DDR
160Gb SATA drive
nVidia GeForce FX 5200
M-Audio 2496 audio card
CD-RW/DVD combination drive
Windows XP Home
System not connected to the web

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 23rd, 2005 01:00

gtop.

Dell's instructions for installing a second SATA hard drive in the D4600

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

After the drive is installed, you need to enter the set up and make certain the drive is set to "Auto" [Enabled], then partition and format it, using the following generic instructions for Windows XP Disk Management.They are by Seagate, but apply to all brands.

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/install_xp_disk_mgmt.html

Wait until the hard drive is installed to your satisfaction, before installing the DVD drive.

Bev.

Message Edited by shesagordie on 01-22-2005 09:33 PM

19 Posts

January 25th, 2005 22:00

I bought and physically installed a Western Digital SATA 160 Gb drive as directed by Dell instruction guide.  Booted up the system and entered Disk Management session, but all what I see is Drive 0 (for c:) and CD-ROM 0.  The new drive to partition and initialize is not shown.

Is there a setup problem?  Where is the wizard that is supposed to be launched (per the installation instructions given by Seagate?).  You have mentionned that I should enter setup.  Where and how?  Is this the source of the problem?

Thanks for your help,
gtop

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 26th, 2005 03:00

gtop.

Have you set the new HD to "Auto" [Enabled} in the setup [BIOS]
To enter the setup, when the system is booted, push F2.   You will see a prompt on the top right hand of screen, you will have to be quick to push F2, or you will miss it.

Bev.

19 Posts

January 26th, 2005 15:00

In setup, the BIOS has reported the secondary drive as OFF (and could not be changed).  Called Dell tech support, who suggested to switch SATA cables between both drives.  Found that the second SATA interface connector on the motherboard is not functioning (dead).  Dell will send a technician to replace the motherboard (by a refurbished one, not by a new one to my surprise, as my computer is just 3 months old).

I will post again should I have further problems during initialization and partitioning of the second drive.

By the way, is it safe to partition a drive already in use and has some data on it (my c: drive is a 160Gb).  Any safe method or utility available?  Would standard XP disk management  function be able to do it?

gtop,

19 Posts

January 30th, 2005 22:00

The technician dispatched by Dell to replace the motherboard (per Dell Tech support diagnosis) entered BIOS setup before doing anything else, and enabled the drive... everything works fine.  Drive was formatted and partioned OK.

I am very concerned with the knowledge base of Dell tech support (I guess someone from India).  What a disapointment.  I have waisted more than one hour on the phone for troubleshooting exercise, and all what was needed is a BIOS setup.  I should have listen to your suggestion to enable (AUTO) the second drive in BIOS setup in the first place.

Thanks anyway for help,

gtop

No Events found!