Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2009 11:00

Adding second hard disk to Dell XPS -410

Ordered new drive from Dell and began installation only to find out I can't figure out how to connect drive to the bus. Found the power cable. Does anyone know how to connect the drive to the bus?

10.9K Posts

October 6th, 2009 13:00

Is it a SATA drive or an IDE (PATA) drive?  The XPS410 is an all
SATA system.  It is connected to the motherboard by using a SATA
cable which is usually supplied by the user.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 6th, 2009 13:00

jcook7483 

The directions for adding a second SATA hard drive to the XPS 410, are HERE.<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

The second hard drive should be connected to the motherboard SATA-1 connector, SATA-0 should have 'Master' C/: drive already connected to it

MOTHERBOARD DETAILS <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>.

The XPS410 has a spare power connector for a second SATA drive. But, you may need a 24" x 90* [right angle] x 180* straight SATA data cable, similar to the unit shown HERE.

After the drive is installed, enter the system setup and check that the drive is set "Auto" [on], see HERE.<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

After the drive is installed you will need to partition and format the drive using disk management.

These are generic instructions for installing an additional hard drive using Windows XP Disk Management, they are by Seagate, but apply to all MAKES

Bev

2 Posts

November 24th, 2010 04:00

This answer is EXACTLY what I was looking for!  I have one further question.  The power cable is not long enough to run down to that secondary drive housing.  I was thinking of just mounting it underneath my DVD drive.  Is there another way of lengthening that power cable to make it reach down to that other housing?

Thanks so much!

Kelly

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 24th, 2010 07:00

MommyKelly

Yes, you can use a 15-pin SATA power cable extension, similar to either THIS, or THIS

Bev.

2 Posts

December 1st, 2010 12:00

Thanks again, Bev!  You really made my day.  I have been putting off this project for a LONG time, and with your instructions, it was so simple.  I needed that this week!

I did not realize that the drive does *not* show up in explorer until you run disk management.  Another note for those of you unfortunate enough to still have Windows Vista (although, I think the process is similar for Windows 7):  Of course, Disk Management is hidden and the process is different, as described here:  http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=202291&NewLang=en&Hilite=How+to+install+an+additional+hard+drive+using+Windows+Vista

Have a great week!

Kelly

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 1st, 2010 13:00

MommyKelly

Great upgrade and I'm happy to have helped.

Bev.

No Events found!