wingnutdave
1 Nickel

Adding single drive to a XPS630 with raid

I have a 3 year old XPS630i and it was shipped with a raid 0 with 2 seagates.  I want to add a single drive to use.  Try as I might, I can not get the system to read the drive.  Yes I enabled the drive in bios.  But in computer the new (third) dirve does not show up.  What am I missing?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
9 Rhodium

Re: Adding single drive to a XPS630 with raid

You must partition and format the drive before WIndows will see it. Control panel, admin tools, computer management, disc manager.

0 Kudos
wingnutdave
1 Nickel

I have win7 on that drive, and do not want to format, would not that cause drive to be erased.? Just want to move info from raid to single disc.

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

It isn't clear what you're trying to do.  If you've moved one of a pair of RAID 0 drives to a new system, it's not readable - neither drive of a RAID 0 pair has a full copy of the data set.  Neither can you move an installed copy of Windows 7 from one system to another and expect to use it - whether or not the drive was part of a RAID setup or not.  If you need the data on the drive, you'll have to reinstall it on the original system, and back it up to an external drive and then copy the data to the new system.

If what you're trying to do is move the data FROM the RAID 0 array to a new, blank drive, you'll need an imaging utility to do it - ImageX is free but hard to use;  there are simpler to use choices such as Acronis True Image or Symantec Ghost.

0 Kudos